Origin Broadband – Mis-selling? No cooling off period?

If you search the forum for "Origin broadband2 there's quite a bit of info.

Here's a dedicated thread.

I've been with them on Digital Region since the beginning of this year as soon as FTTC was available. Customer service at the start was excellent and the broadband itself is good. I'm on the 24mb service at £17-50 and can't fault it. Speed tests return speeds between 16 and 20mb download over the time I've had it with a constant upload of 2mb. I've had no problems since joining so haven't needed customer service since the start.

Hi, What speeds were you attaining before you joined origin? Because having looked at all the local speed checkers it says my only can only attain 2mb/s...so will joining origin really push it upto 20mb/s sounds too good to be true...:(

I've been with them on Digital Region since the beginning of this year as soon as FTTC was available. Customer service at the start was excellent and the broadband itself is good. I'm on the 24mb service at £17-50 and can't fault it. Speed tests return speeds between 16 and 20mb download over the time I've had it with a constant upload of 2mb. I've had no problems since joining so haven't needed customer service since the start.

Yes, in our area the MAX we could get was 1-2 mb. We joined origin on the 24 mb deal and as above speed checks come in around 17-20. Now we are downloading stuff at about 1.5mb-2mb instead of 300 kb/s :)

My husband dealt with it all but they were very friendly and helpful, even when BT were being *****.

Thanks for the kind words! Remember if you refer a friend to us, we'll give you a free months broadband.

Hi, What speeds were you attaining before you joined origin? Because having looked at all the local speed checkers it says my only can only attain 2mb/s...so will joining origin really push it upto 20mb/s sounds too good to be true...:(

I live at the top in Stannington and on BT, Sky and Plusnet I was averaging 1.01 DL The speedcheckers also said 2mb/s

Digital region is different to 'normal' internet it is more like Virgin in that it is fiber to the cabinet and uses phone line from the cabinet to the house instead of phone lines from the exchange

My cabinet is about 35-40 meters away

I am on the cheapest deal £17.50 for 24 mbs d/l and get average 23.9 on speedcheckers

Are these guys reliable then? did you get connected straight away? any issues?

Are these guys reliable then? did you get connected straight away? any issues?

This is a copy of the letter sent out

Dear Mr Paul xxxxxx,

Installing your Line

In order to setup your line, an Openreach engineer will be sent to the cabinet that is connected to your home to make the switch. This switch over will take place on 06/06/2012 between 08:00-13:00.

Important – When the line is switched you will be able to access our services, make sure your Cellpipe Residential Gateway is firmly plugged into the master socket with the supplied VDSL micro filter and powered on.

After your connection has been installed your speeds may fluctuate over the next few days before stabilising. This is normal as the BSAN (large green cabinet) will automatically adjust the settings on your connection to find the best stability/speed for the line.

You can contact us at any time through our web forms at Origin-broadband.co.uk/support

Email us [email protected]

You can also call us between 09:00-18:00 at 01302 247339

We hope you will enjoy your experience with us and we look forward to providing you with a fast, reliable service with great support.

Yours Sincerely,

I was actually connected by 9:45

When I ordered the service there was a 6 week wait I believe this has shortened by a massive amount

Edited by Paul Blade

how long u been with them.

This is a copy of the letter sent out

Dear Mr Paul xxxxxx,

Installing your Line

In order to setup your line, an Openreach engineer will be sent to the cabinet that is connected to your home to make the switch. This switch over will take place on 06/06/2012 between 08:00-13:00.

Important – When the line is switched you will be able to access our services, make sure your Cellpipe Residential Gateway is firmly plugged into the master socket with the supplied VDSL micro filter and powered on.

After your connection has been installed your speeds may fluctuate over the next few days before stabilising. This is normal as the BSAN (large green cabinet) will automatically adjust the settings on your connection to find the best stability/speed for the line.

You can contact us at any time through our web forms at Origin-broadband.co.uk/support

Email us [email protected]

You can also call us between 09:00-18:00 at 01302 247339

We hope you will enjoy your experience with us and we look forward to providing you with a fast, reliable service with great support.

Yours Sincerely,

I was actually connected by 9:45

When I ordered the service there was a 6 week wait I believe this has shortened by a massive amount

how long u been with them.

May this year no problems at all a couple of little 'niggles' due to telecom bloke disconnecting me twice when doing connections to others sorted same day

Problem NOT Origins fault

Before I joined them I made sure the changeover over lapped by 1 day in case of problems but there wasn't any

I personally can't fault them in any way

I was inititialy promised connection in November but due to BT being useless the FTTC box wasn't connected until Jan/Feb. As soon as the cabinet was live I was connected and haven't looked back since. Prior to this I was getting around 1mb as I live so far from Wadsley Bridge exchange.

Do I need to have fibre optic in my area to join Origin? Because it isnt available in my area at the moment?