Anyone work on a government work scheme in the 80's

I was on a YTS scheme run by Henry Boot with a 6month placement with a local builder, the builder used to to "top up" my money with an extra £30.00 a week, so I was happy, didnt like some of the work though - out in Derbyshire in a severe winter working on houses. On the plus side I remained in construction and am now in a management position.

The youth opportunities centre was in Chelmsley Wood in 1981, £23.50 a week to start then in the new year it became £25 a week, not sure how I stuck at it as I was a signwriter at first then after a months scheme at a sign place the man there was reported to have said I will never be a signwriter so the Youth supervisor said, he was a heavy smoker who had a bad chest back then and a miserable old devil as well

I did mine down south for a well known building society 1987-89. A godawful waste of two years of my life. I learned nothing, was treated like dirt (i.e. bullied), my boss was a paranoid  alcoholic, I got paid £31.50 a week which I had to keep reminding them to pay me and then after two years I was unceremoniously kicked out and replaced by another gullible muppet. The only good memory I have was going to college one day a week, having nice tutors and getting a BTEC certificate. Employers could hire and fire in those days without questions being asked. Prior to getting the post I remember going for an interview at Blue Star Travel (now  Co-op Travel) for a YTS position and the interviewer was so rude. They asked me what experience I had, I said none as it was a post for a school leaver and they had the cheek to scold me and say they were looking for a school leaver WITH experience! They then reported me to the Manpower services commission and said I had an attitude problem because I pulled their logic apart with that one sentence. I had to explain myself to the MSC and they ended up agreeing with me and withrew the Blue Star vacancy over it. I think the YTS scheme allowed a lot of little Hitlers to get away with a lot of bad treatment of youngsters. I enjoyed the college course as I was with others on the same scheme but the rest of my time was very forgettable.

I was on a couple of these in the 80s.

1985 April I was on a 3 month course at SYSTA on Bessemer Rd Attercliffe doing all sorts :  computers, woodworking, lathes. Some good blokes on that one. We used to go to the chippy on Friday lunch times for chips and gravy. Sometimes to the pub instead. Can't remember any names unfortunately. Anyone out there?

Sept 1985 I did a 1year Community Programme at Phoenix 84 Community Centre on Edenhall Rd in Arbourthorne. We were taking care of the OAPs. There was an over 50s on a Thu and a lunch club on a Friday. Some great characters down there. Great memories. A few names: Helen Bruce, John Bolland a lady called Terri and another lady in the Gardening Team called Juliet. Where are you now you lot?