Anyone work on a government work scheme in the 80's

I did a retail course in 1987-1989 at SYTG on newhall rd

Me too, what a waste of spce that place was, run by a set of complete idiots. I left after two weeks and joined Chamber of commerce on bottom of moor and did a computer course. A lot more interesting and the tutors actually knew what they were doing, not like South Yorkshire Training Group

Hi there

I was on a YOP (Youth opportunities scheme) at Doncasters on Penistone Rd back I 1981. And still work for them now:loopy:

i did two years at workshop6,can anybody remember that place?
yes i remember that place of the wicker on a side street

Correct. it was situated at the rear of "Friedrich's" pork butchers, the Wicker, on a road called Sheldon Row.

It was last heard of on Countess Road, near the United ground, I don't know if it is still in existence.

I did an IT (sorry, "Computer Studies" as it was called back then!) Employment Training Scheme around 1986 somewhere on Carlisle Street. (Something House? It's still there, just down from the "naughty" pub, and the Gay one, the Norfolk...)

that would be Bessemer House, that JoeP and Jabberwocky mentioned at the top of this page.

I was based there, some years ago, doing care work. I said I wanted to work with Adults with physical disabilities, so where did they try to place me?

A school for children with learning disabilities! :confused:

I went along, to see what the placement involved, and the head showed me round.

He showed me the staffroom. then said "Of course... you won't be allowed to use that. You'll be expected to stay in the classroom to which you will be assigned!"

I thought.. "aye-aye, what's the craic here?"

he then showed me the staff loo, and said "Of course, you won't be allowed use that, you'll have to use the kids' loos".

I though "Urgh! Odd!"

He showed me the dining room, and said "Of course, you won't be allowed to eat in here,with the children. YOU'LL have to eat your lunch in the classroom you'll be based in...!"

I said "Of course, you know, I shan't be taking up this placement!" then I smiled sweetly and walked away.

I went back to speak to the placements officer responsible, who went bananas at me for turning down the placement.

I said "There's no way on this earth I am going to accept a placement where It's blatantly obvious any trainee is going to be made to feel as unwelcome as that!"

Hi all

I worked on the Y.T.S. in 83/84 at Sheaf project Westbourne Road got £25 per week. Did Paint n decorating, Landscape Counryside management, joinery, brickaying. Was one of the first team to regenuate the green belt between Scawdons Farm easte and Hackenthorpe. Remember one of our supervisors was called Jim.

Simmo 40

i worked firstly as yts for co-operative society 6 months then for WH Smith Wholesales near the station for 6 months. Didn't get to stay on at either but i did enjoy them and thought it was a brilliant introduction to work.

When my job was transfered out of Sheffield and I became redundant in November. 1988.

I decided to take ,' a Self Employment Course '. Prior to finishing this, the opportunity to take a Computer Course arose, so I began learning at Cobalt. I was very interested so I learnt a great deal.

Since leaving Cobalt. I lost contact with one tutor Gordon but I can contact another Shelia by phone in Australia.

I had every intention of setup a Scanning and OCR business at the time. My Canon Scanner cost me £1800 and HP 286 Computer £2500 on top of which a B/W. HP-III Laser Printer with 16K additional memory which set me back another £1400. The cost of Pro grammes, DOS Etc were on top of this. ( All this lot could now be bought for £50.00 ).

Leading up to to completing the course at Cobalt I advertised and obtained about £5000 plus of re-occurring work.

Then the Government announced the removal of the education grant which allowed my handicapped son to attend college every day. We had no one to fill this gap and consequently I took over my parental responsibilities and to forget my aims.

It was just ' Water under the Bridge ' except I was a fully trained to use MS Word. All that was missing was the ability to spell and use gram-ma !!

It can be seen that the training scheme cost me a lot financially, but that is life. It as also given me a great deal of satisfacted in my retirement.

hi just wondering if anyone worked at hallam industries . it was a yts training centre in the old carbrook school worked there in 1980-81 £23.50 a week seemed a fortune then too
i worked there too and can remember when one of the trainers/supervisors opened up a sewing factory up the road above the induz restaurant. we moved all the sewing machines there then the next thing i remember was one of them was arrested for deception or something :suspect:

Anyone do a Y.T.S scheme with Rodger Worth (before he had his own training company) at the YMCA building on colegate crescent back in the late 80's I did one on retail training got put on a placement in 'Memmots ' on Nth Church Street though my mate had the best one he got put on a placement at ' Redgates' looking after the train sets !!.
Do you remember Muriel at Memmots?

:D

I did a YTS straight from school in the 80's, a one year course £26.25 per week and to be honest it was great fun.

I worked in the wages office of a firm down on Corporation Street with a day release to Impulse Technical Services learning computers.

Met some great people and contacts, the firm kept me on, stayed there for 6 years and moved on to another place when my boss moved on and not stopped working since.

It's not done me too bad to be honest.

I was on a Whitbread YTS, which ran from Shepcote Lane, £27.50 in the first year £35 the second year. We went on a weeks outward bound somewhere in North Yorks.

When I left school in 90 I went on one of the goverments Y.T.S. schemes I remember the wage was 27.50 a week.. robbing git's

Although they were a little longer by then at 24 months..

lucky you lol 23pound 50 in 80s:)