Anyone work on a government work scheme in the 80's

i worked as a painter based at firthpark methodist church on a government training scheme in 1987. any body else on here work there or any other 12 month scheme

When I left school in 90 I went on one of the goverments Y.T.S. schemes I remember the wage was 27.50 a week.. robbing git's

Although they were a little longer by then at 24 months..

i did ET what the government called employment training we called it extra tenner because that's wot you got! the youngster's got YTS and we not very kindly referd to it as young thick an stupid aarhh the heady day's of youth under the expert guidance of the tory party and that lovly woman MARGRET THATCHER the biggest bunch of crook's to ever walk the hall's of whitehall.

Glynn

I did one, although I cant think why. Back in 86-88, Sheaf Project on Westbourne Rd. in Broomhill. We covered things like Landscaping and Countryside Management. There was also aHome Economics part with some nice young ladies present.

I did a YTS course in 1985/1986 I really enjoyed it and never felt like I was being ripped off or conned. I think I was one of the luckier ones, I know some who were just used as cheap labour.

Although I loved my placement, I hated the 1 day a week training and would do anything to get out of it.

(It was SYSTA if anyone remembers it)

I did a Y.O.P.(youth opertunities programm) in the 70s. My first weeks wage £19.50 It was a fortune then.

god, yeah, i remember doing my yts back in sept '86, i was at Bradshaws fruit and veg in fitzalan sq, now its a deli or something, they have another shop on chapel walk still, run by roger and pete. sadly JW passed on, but i can remember wednesdays when the manageress was on her day off, god i HATED her, he used to pay me £5 to wash his white merc!

god rest his soul!!

was based with SYTG on newhall rd, was paid £27.50 a week too but my mam took a tenner off me for board :(

i did a comunity programme at kiveton, painting and decorating and gardening, in 1988 i think, was quite well paid

so they stopped it

and brought out the ET schemes (extra tenner :P), i think that was 89?..........i did painting and decorating up a road near where the ice skates was

I was in the first 2 years YTS year(s), 86 to 88 at Debenhams on the Moor. We didnt get paid very much but the training was good and most of the staff, specially some of the managers at the time were nice and very experienced.

i did two years at workshop6,can anybody remember that place?

I went on a YTS after leaving school ('88 - '89), £27.50 a week plus travel expenses. For the first week I used 4 busses a day instead of 2 to claim a bit more.

I was at the EITB on Petre Street, gave me a good start. I was there 18 months then went on an apprenticeship and doubled my wages.

i did my YTS at Sheaf Training (1992-1994), there were a few departments, catering, business admin(where i was), caring, gardening and sewing.

It was a good laugh and i got an NVQ out of it.