Help for old lady with dementia

Hi all

I am looking for some kind sole that can put me in touch with a charity or something to help my mum who has dementia.

Just over a year ago I had to put mum in a home because of her dementia, she chose the home herself which made things a little easire, but I still miss her terribly and her me.

Recently I have become disabled and am no longer able to go see her every day, her condition seems to be worse when she doesn't see me every day and she just sits in her room crying. This really upsets me and I feel more guilty every day.

I have come up with a possible solution to assist her when I cannot get to visit her.

If I can get a laptop donated from a charity of similar I can get her on skype and she can then see me and speak to me through that. Unfortunately I am unable to purchase one for her as funds are very low now I am unable to work.

Can anyone out there help me with this?:help:

I and my mother would be so grateful for any advise or help.

sky go is the way to go

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Have you asked the Alzheimer's Society or Help the Aged if they can offer any practical support, either to help you to visit more or advice on how to get hold of the equipment you need? They may have contacts that they could recommend you to contact.

Other than that, you could approach a company who supply computer equipment, and have a charity department. Currys, Tesco, Argos?

I hope you soon get something sorted out to help you, it must be very worrying and difficult for you both.

Thank you for your kind words and advice.

I will get in touch with the societies mentioned tomorrow.

I'm in the same boat so....

Windows 7 only please

I'm in the same boat so....

Windows 7 only please

But you didn't ask so nicely, so doubtful :)

Still no joy with locating a free laptop.

Am told this would help a lot of the people in the nursing home to see and speak to their loved ones.

I will pay for the relevant internet stuff to get it going.

There are some good charities such as singing for the brain.

I cant see someone with dementia operating SKYPE, my mother in low never knows where to look to find the webcam

There are some good charities such as singing for the brain.

I cant see someone with dementia operating SKYPE, my mother in low never knows where to look to find the webcam

I would say the same, but ime sure the care workers would sort it out

Have you tried registering with Sheffield Freecycle and Freegle?

There may be someone on there who has bought a new laptop and has their old one available.

You could maybe also try googling for local firms that recycle computers - some of them donate/sell on at low cost for purposes such as you describe.

Put a "wanted" ad in AdMag etc?

Hi I am an activities coordinator for a nursing home and am currently raising funds to buy a laptop for our home. E mailing relatives is something we do occasionally as we have to lend the managers laptop. Skypeand e mail is relativley easy so I cant see a problem with staff helping. Does the home your mum is in have an activities co ordinator? They should be able to help you.