Pointing failing

The pointing (I think that's what you call it!) on our walls are starting to fail, it is almost like sand and is just falling out.

Is this is novice job to do? We only have brick work on the lower part of the house so no heights involved and the failing pointing is that sandy it just brushes out! I think someone got the wrong mix when they did it last.

I guess it is just time consuming rather than a hard job?

The pointing (I think that's what you call it!) on our walls are starting to fail, it is almost like sand and is just falling out.

Is this is novice job to do? We only have brick work on the lower part of the house so no heights involved and the failing pointing is that sandy it just brushes out! I think someone got the wrong mix when they did it last.

take my advice, if you have no experience , pay for it to be done , but get the right man, its not as easy as it looks.Skeets

It takes time, you have to grind out the old morter to about 15 to 20mm then comes the boring bit. The thing is with pointing is it can make a bad job look good or a good job look bad the secret it to let the mix start to turn but not too much as to wet morter will make a right mess.

~Use a plug chisel(to depth 15mm<) if that soft,brush and irrigate to remove debris.Use 3 sand one cement on brick,remove surplus after 4 hours and jobs done.

It takes time, you have to grind out the old morter to about 15 to 20mm then comes the boring bit. The thing is with pointing is it can make a bad job look good or a good job look bad the secret it to let the mix start to turn but not too much as to wet morter will make a right mess.

I really don't think I will need to do any grinding, the mix in is so poor that it will just need a stiff brushing out in most places as it is that bad!

How much do you reckon it would cost labour only for someone to do 2 20ft by 10ft walls? Just trying to work out if it is worth getting someone else to do it. than faff around myself.

I really don't think I will need to do any grinding, the mix in is so poor that it will just need a stiff brushing out in most places as it is that bad!

How much do you reckon it would cost labour only for someone to do 2 20ft by 10ft walls? Just trying to work out if it is worth getting someone else to do it. than faff around myself.

If you are talking 18 sqr metres I would say approx £250-make sure you use a wire brush!

If you are talking 18 sqr metres I would say approx £250-make sure you use a wire brush!
shouldnt that be 36 sqr metres ? seeing as there is 2 walls to do

There is a real knack to the job, easy to make a mess if you don't know what your doing.

Your usually looking at about 18-20 pound per square metre for taking out and repointing.

shouldnt that be 36 sqr metres ? seeing as there is 2 walls to do

I opted for one wall-if done well re-engage the person.Only a fool would commit £500 for unproven work!

There is a real knack to the job, easy to make a mess if you don't know what your doing.

Your usually looking at about 18-20 pound per square metre for taking out and repointing.

Yes but the chasing element seems simple due to soft mix used.

Would be happy to come and show you how to do the job yourself if your into DIY all you need is a trowel and a jointer and abit of skill, you will soon pick it up and the more you do the faster you will get, cheers.