General Post Office, Fitzalan Square- its future?

The old Central Post Office in the city center may soon be restored. I have noticed yellow listed building application notice on a railing asking for permission to make two new entrances and minor changes as any one noticed them or know anything?

Thanks for the link. The building is now in a bad way, water damage mostly helped along with down pipes missing and the lead off the roof gone walkies. I do like this building it closed as a Post Office in 1999 and left to rot like the Old Town Hall lets hope for the Post Office lady luck is smiling on it.

Thanks for the link. The building is now in a bad way, water damage mostly helped along with down pipes missing and the lead off the roof gone walkies. I do like this building it closed as a Post Office in 1999 and left to rot like the Old Town Hall lets hope for the Post Office lady luck is smiling on it.

I think the old courthouse is on that site too. Seems a lot of sheffields heritage has got wet!

3. Description of Proposed Works

Internal alterations and external repairs including the forming of 2 new entrances in the stone extension to the listed former Head Post Office buildings facing Flat Street

and Fitzalan Square.

Planning Application, dated 6th September 2012, here:

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=M9XU5FNYFY000

3.1 Impact

The proposals are generally limited to specific repairs and minor alterations to the exterior

including these principal works listed below:

ï‚· Forming 2 new openings to existing arched windows along Flat Street elevation by

removing sills and re-dressing stone reveals to pavement/floor level.

ï‚· Correcting previously altered windows back to original grid/location, size, on rear

and east side elevation.

ï‚· Internal alterations to form openings in floors and walls, to allow forming internal stair

in place of external stair and allow lifts to be introduced into the building providing

disabled access to the building, and forming open floor areas for new functions

(other uses are subject to separate and later planning approval).

ï‚· Works in relation to the proposed extension on the third floor to southern end

Edited by cgksheff

Looks like at long last its going to get the much needed repairs it needs. I wounder what its new use will be or they just making it watertight for now? Did hear it was to become a upmarket hotel then later heard it was to become offices. Shame it couldt be reopened as a Post Office again would be better than the one at Castle House!

Edited by iron sky

Just guessing, but it looks like doing some basics needed to protect their investment and attract further commitment from potential end-users.

Some sort of joint feasibility study being carried out for the building's regeneration I understand. A step forward at last.

Just a query here but does anyone know what's happening to the old Town hall ? It seems to have been mothballed for years. I reckon it would be brilliant if it could be opened as a museum but I suppose the money spent on that would make it not worthwhile.

Just a query here but does anyone know what's happening to the old Town hall ? It seems to have been mothballed for years. I reckon it would be brilliant if it could be opened as a museum but I suppose the money spent on that would make it not worthwhile.

Probably nothing until the market is demolished and the area gentrified.

There's no point doing anything nice to it while it's the heart of poundshop and pawnbroker land.

As far as I know its still in limbo. Hen and Chickens struggling on across from it. The quicker the Castle Market comes down the better so we can tackle the problems in what is the archaelogically sensitive part of the city.