General Post Office, Fitzalan Square- its future?

Current proposal is to turn it into a training college, a partnership between a private provider and Hallam Uni. Feasibility work is well underway. If it goes ahead it will change the whole feel and demographic of Fitzalan Square. Hopefully the FIVE bookies and loan shark shops will disappear.

Thanks Yog Sothoth,

Welcome news. I share your thoughts about the bookies and loan shops. Oh to see the horrible former Halfords building go as well,

Wards Bitter

Reopen the Marples Gay Paree Bar. Citizen Smith berets, Apache/Bohemian culture. Curved Ironwork and Posters...........

I used to love that building, I started working life there many years ago as a GPO telephonist, those were the days

My Mum was a telephonist there from about 1942 - 1954.

There are two potential gems in our city centre and both are squares:

Paradise Square, which is nothing more than a car park; &

Fitzalan Square, which with a bit of imagination and investment could and should become the public square this city desperately needs.

I am sure that in any other city, the beautiful GPO would be transformed into a centre piece, be it by way of converting it into shops, an arcade, a hotel or civic building. Perhaps an art gallery or museum. Even a decent tourist centre.

The square needs ripping out, redesigning but in an open way, not cluttered with 'street furniture'. It could make a lovely place for bars and coffee shops which should be policed or marshalled.

Flowerbeds, a large screen - perhaps on one of the less attractive buildings, imaginative lighting, maybe a fountain. A place where the citizens of this city cone together for civic receptions and anniversaries.

Transport links are excellent: train- and bus-stations are a five minute walk away; the tram passes by and Arundel Gate and the Cheese Grater car parks are also nearby.

The Crucible and Lyceum Theatres are nearby also. It sounds too good to be true but the council as per usual sit idly by doing sweet FA!!

Fantastic idea - maybe you get in touch with SCC.

Thanks Yog Sothoth,

Welcome news. I share your thoughts about the bookies and loan shops. Oh to see the horrible former Halfords building go as well,

Wards Bitter

Pardon my ignorance but which is the old Halfords building?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=332072

its now 6 years old (and the relating planning application has presumably timed out) but this thread picks out some images from the last planning application to be submitted, which was granted permission but never developed - gives a good impression of what has been planned in the past.

Pardon my ignorance but which is the old Halfords building?

Andrew,

The monstrosity on the corner opposite the bingo place/ex cinema which also wants flattening. Was it the Gaumont? Looks like the effects of postwar planning are going to be with us for some time in this area. Halfords was formerly the Elephant pub.

Andrew,

The monstrosity on the corner opposite the bingo place/ex cinema which also wants flattening. Was it the Gaumont? Looks like the effects of postwar planning are going to be with us for some time in this area. Halfords was formerly the Elephant pub.

Think that cinema was the Fiesta. I had a Raleigh Grifter bought from that Halfords store Christmas 1980. I was like a dog with two tails.

Think that cinema was the Fiesta. I had a Raleigh Grifter bought from that Halfords store Christmas 1980. I was like a dog with two tails.

The cinema opposite Halfords was the Odeon. It closed in 1971,

reopened as Top Rank Bingo Hall.

The Fiesta was a night club on Arundel Gate,where the current Odeon cinema stands.

Use link below.to search for pictures of the original Odeon

http://www.picturesheffield.com

Edited by bazjea