A theoretical question.. re: donating and/or begging...

But websites can be set up for free.....

Electricity and computers don't.

The 100k guy seemed honest.

As I said, I'm generally an impulse giver, I read the situation as it is. I have no reason to trust a website or the person behind it.

This thread isn't market research is it? :suspect::hihi:

Yes.

I gave a homeless woman 5 Euros this afternoon and got a copy of the fortnightly newspaper they were selling on the street -- they get half the cover price for each one sold. So they actually made 4.40.

It's not difficult being nice to those less fortunate than yourself.

But would you give to an anonymous begging website as the op has stated ?

In the Ads section at the back of Private Eye magazine there were always ads where people were asking for money to be sent to their bank (they gave their account number and sort code). Some included a sob story but others didn't. I've wondered how successful they are, but don't know.

I have offered someone a meal because they were begging as a result of hunger.

When we got to KFC he said he wasn't hungry and asked for cash instead.

We have professional beggars back home, all the locals know them and we say hello that's all, the tourists on the other hand make them a very good living tax free. Here though as with say Toronto, without knowing the person can you differentiate between the genuine and the con.

Just out of interest, would you donate even £1 to someone you didn't know, if they were totally open and honest about it?

I was having a discussion with a friend the other day, about people begging on the streets, how many are honest, and how many aren't?

It reminded me of that guy who made £100k/year but still begged on the streets and still made about an extra £30/day which he lived on...

Now, if someone (for example) was open and honest, put up a website saying...

This would be into their own pocket, no charity or anything....

Would you give? and if so, how much?

Money isn't everything. You usually know when somebody is genuine and needs a little help. If it feels right then give what you feel comfortable with. If it feels right at the time (genuine person and right amount for you) then you won't think about it again. If you do think about it again you've probably been had.

If a guy needs a can of special brew - I will give him a few notes. The only way - he might rob my flat.

I don't give money to anyone ... I have none to spare myself.

I'm pretty much the same as this. If I donate to charities then it's usually donations of goods or my time, because I don't have the money to give.