BT vs Virgin Media vs SKY - Hackenthorpe

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've just moved to Sheffield and rented a property in Hackenthorpe so I'm in a research for the optimal quality to price ratio Broadband internet in that area.

I'm not much of a TV person so not being interested in HD channels or what so ever.

So what would you suggest? Shall it be Virgin, BT or SKY?

I have a laptop so WiFi with strong signal is highly appreciated!

And something else: If I get a Broadband and TV Package all together from one of these companies, do I still have to pay TV License to tvlicensing.co.uk?

I think packages from 20 to 30 pounds per month are OK to go. I will not spend more than 30 a month for internet now.

Excuse my english language, I'm a foreigner :cool:

EDIT: Virgin says there's no Optic to where I live, so I guess that means I have to get a landline?

Edited by CuMo

There is no Virginmedia service in Hackenthorpe area. BT charge around £26 per month [ for unlimited ] plus line rental for their "fiber" infinity service, although it is only fiber to the street cabinet and copper the last few metre's to your house.

Sky also offer this service and are a fiver cheaper i think. Plusnet are also a bit cheaper than BT but i believe BT now own plusnet.

As for packages, you would have to look on the SKY website. There offer's change monthly. I don't think you will get a TV package and infinity broadband for less than around

£50 per month.

Yes, you will still require a TV liscense.

I've checked some offers, but don't know if it's appropriate to share them on this forum.

O2 told me they will not be able to supply more than 3Mb download and 1Mb upload speed, which is pretty low speed.

Mobile company "3" will not do unlimited on a dongle - which I think is stupid enough - I can use All you can eat data trough my usb tethering mobile.

Both Virgin and Origin would ask for 80 pounds to set up a line, but I have optic with Origin nearby which I guess will be the fastest.

So now I have to check out with Sky and see what they offer.

Thanks guys for the info!

Hi there, the great news is that you can sign up for great speeds on South Yorkshire's own superfast fibre network with speeds of up to 80 Mbps!! Go to littlebigone.com to check what speed you could get, and the range of broadband, phone and TV services available in Sheffield from littlebigone.com or call us on 0800 652 8288 :)

virgin media is best service I,ve had didn't get along with skys slow broadband speeds

Hi there, the great news is that you can sign up for great speeds on South Yorkshire's own superfast fibre network with speeds of up to 80 Mbps!! Go to littlebigone.com to check what speed you could get, and the range of broadband, phone and TV services available in Sheffield from littlebigone.com or call us on 0800 652 8288 :)

hi

how you get these prices on website ?

set £50 + £42 ??

bit confusing £25 + £13 per month ?

http://www.littlebigone.com/services/internet/

virgin media is best service I,ve had didn't get along with skys slow broadband speeds

only if they did ever area

still no virgin at lower shiregreen been here nearly 20yr

sky best of a bad bunch

i get 2.4 download

hi

how you get these prices on website ?

set £50 + £42 ??

bit confusing £25 + £13 per month ?

Sorry our pricing is confusing you! The variations are about line rental if you order our phone service. We can also discount your set-up charge by £25 if you agree to one of our promotional boards outside your house for a month. Best idea is to call us and talk through what you need with a Sales Consultant, they're waiting to take your call!

only if they did ever area

still no virgin at lower shiregreen been here nearly 20yr

sky best of a bad bunch

i get 2.4 download

Your area is covered by Digital Region superfast fibre network - go to littlebigone.com and check your postcode in our checker to see what speeds you could be getting - you might be amazed!

Origin are a local provider of superfast digital region services.

You can get in touch with us on 0800 206 23 33 or PM me for more info :-)