Sheffield 5th in country for number of parking wardens

Its yet another one for those "reports" that just happens to be a press release for an insurance company that lazy journalist seem to love.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/910230-traffic-wardens-on-the-rise-while-free-parking-spaces-are-cut

Why are they the "scourge of motorist" when one of their main tasks in Sheffield seem to be keeping the clearways free. Doesn't that help to keep us moving?

Wouldn't it stand to reason as we are around the 4th /5th biggest city in the UK?

Wouldn't it stand to reason as we are around the 4th /5th biggest city in the UK?

No, Glasgow, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester (greater Manchester) all have bigger populations but less traffic wardens.

Have you noticed that you hardly ever see a parking warden in the more multicultural areas of the city.

Why is that I wonder?

Is it because you suffer from acute paranoia?

You should know better than to show o little bit of common sense here on SF!

Nope, can back that up, have sat in backed up traffic scores of times, due to vehicles (including licenced taxis!) parking on the double yellows outside and opposite the take-away shops on the NGH junction @ Firvale. Not my quote, have heard it mentioned as 'Halal parking', not very PC, but had to chuckle :)

It's a funny one I must admit, as I got myself in a bit of a pickle trying to park for the Kelham Xmas fair the other year, parked where I thought I could, a bit of a grey area, but ended up getting a ticket, first one ever, thought I put a really good letter in to appeal, failed, not a very festive response in the scheme of things! I then see the Firvale scene most days of the year and think, am I missing something!!!

Apparently a CCTV van is being planned for said junction, but that'll probably park on the double yellows as well, ha ha!

No, Glasgow, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester (greater Manchester) all have bigger populations but less traffic wardens.

But Manchester and Birmingham issue more fines.

Its all pretty meaninglessness numbers. Eg Does Sheffield have more residents parking zones than Birmingham?

Still reads like a silly season story to me.

Outside the capital, the largest number of fines handed out last year was by Liverpool City Council (more than 146,000), ahead of Manchester City Council (more than 138,000) and Birmingham City Council (nearly 133,000).""

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/may/25/parking-tickets-soar

Another point

All off street parking in Glasgow has been hived off to a private company. The wardens no longer patrol them.

I have no idea whether this is a deliberate policy or not but - Worksop Rd, Darnall at 2pm earlier today approx 10 -15 cars parked on double yellow lines outside the Mosque at that location! Must be some event there judging by the number of people going in and out. Its not the first time either. Could be co-incidence of course.

Manchester uses Smart cars with cameras rather than wardens on foot patrol. They can cover a greater area with fewer wardens.

I have no idea whether this is a deliberate policy or not but - Worksop Rd, Darnall at 2pm earlier today approx 10 -15 cars parked on double yellow lines outside the Mosque at that location! Must be some event there judging by the number of people going in and out. Its not the first time either. Could be co-incidence of course.

Go to Hillsborough on a match day and see how many cars are parked illegally and how many are getting tickets. Then ask yourself if all the drivers are at the mosque.