Sheffield 5th in country for number of parking wardens

In todays Metro there is a list of the top 10 locations in terms of the number of parking wardens employed. 6 of the top ten were in London / Greater London, only Edinburgh, Bristol & Brighton had more than Sheffield (58 parking wardens employed), and lets face it, they have town centres that you wouldnt mind paying to visit.

Edited by GodStar

Traffic Wardens only do their job when drivers fail to do theirs.

If you are a courteous and observant motorist, you should never fall foul of a traffic warden.

But this simple logic seems to escape some people and they cry and bleat on when they park on double yellows or drive through bus gates or in bus lanes.

So, its not an "anti-car policy" like you claim, but more like an anti-bad-driver policy.

Have you noticed that you hardly ever see a parking warden in the more multicultural areas of the city.

Why is that I wonder?

Edited by Paddy

Firvale needs one permanently based there, yet I have only ever seen one once, and they were not giving out tickets!!

Traffic Wardens only do their job when drivers fail to do theirs.

If you are a courteous and observant motorist, you should never fall foul of a traffic warden.

But this simple logic seems to escape some people and they cry and bleat on when they park on double yellows or drive through bus gates or in bus lanes.

So, its not an "anti-car policy" like you claim, but more like an anti-bad-driver policy.

The fact they employ so many suggests they have a lot of restrictive measures to police. I doubt Sheffield drivers are any less courteous/observant than those in other towns.

The fact they employ so many suggests they have a lot of restrictive measures to police. I doubt Sheffield drivers are any less courteous/observant than those in other towns.

Hmmm, this forum would suggest otherwise when you look at the number of people going on about:

tickets for parking at centertainment / retail park / various other private parking places with limits

bus gate fines

speeding tickets and speed cameras

constant parking on double yellows at Fir Vale

Hmmm, this forum would suggest otherwise when you look at the number of people going on about:

tickets for parking at centertainment / retail park / various other private parking places with limits

bus gate fines

speeding tickets and speed cameras

constant parking on double yellows at Fir Vale

Unless you have compared with other forums this suggests nothing, and even if you did its pretty wishy washy 'evidence' for your assertion!

Are you suggesting there's a need for some 'population control' here, GodStar? ;):D

58 doesn't seem many, should be more to catch the rule breakers.

Are you suggesting there's a need for some 'population control' here, GodStar? ;):D

Well I think they could be reasonably classed as vermin :P

If we didn't need them they wouldn't employ them so if people parked where they should instead of where they shouldn't we'd have less wardens. That means less jobs too though I suppose!

I've got a ticket for parking in a restaurant car park whilst using the restaurant :suspect:, but I wouldn't park on double yellows etc, it drives me mad when others do it and cause problems. Unfortunately the police are good at parking on yellows when they want a bacon sandwich :hihi:

The 5th (6th on some lists) most populous city in the UK happens to be 5th in the top 10 locations for traffic wardens. Hardly a story is it?

Also

They’ve not been called traffic wardens for donkey’s years either so the Metro is wrong there as well. There hasn’t been a traffic warden in Sheffield since decriminalised parking enforcement came in.

Slow news day in the Metro again?