Graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms

I'm not sure that's quite true, it's a generalisation. Many of the people I knew had left home by the time they were 18, either to go to Uni, take a job in another place, or just to be able to lead their own life. And I'm plenty old enough to be Ghozer's mother. :)

Maybe it was the difference between middle class and working class.

My parents moved out when they got married and bought a bungalow. I believe it worked in pretty much the same way for all my uncles and aunties apart from the one uncle who went to Uni.

Who do you think was making a suggestion about where you specifically should live?

Personally I think all people should be able to out there, get a job and a house and raise a family.

I was more interested in seeing if people agreed with the phrase - it was said in America at the Republican convention - where a college graduate is the equivalent of somebody finishing an NVQ, apprenticeship or A levels?

I just hope that the statement isn't empty rhetoric.

It is not empty rhetoric, it's true. For the first time in a long time, parents are wondering if it's worth sending junior off to college for four years at immense cost, so he or she can serve up burgers at McDonald's. Employers are today looking at Master's degrees as entry level. It's so bad that high schools don't fail kids, knowing that it's a sentence of employment death. Remember I'm talking the equivalent of A level, twelve years of education. So the diploma has no value whatever, and the Batchelor's little better. You might do a little better if you're from Harvard or Yale, as long a you're an alumni son or daughter. Much like Oxford or Cambridge I guess. My youngest son has a Master's from Rentscheller, his wife a batchelor of science from Keene State in New Hampshire. They have two daughters, aged 10 and 4, live in a Condo with only 2 bedrooms, so the girls will never have their own rooms. Their joint income is a little under $100,000 PA, so you'd think them well off. But the college loan payoffs are enormous. You'd think Uncle Sam would try to make sure his students could afford to live, but he doesn't, not when you have to have more Aircraft Carriers than the world will ever need. Edited by buck

Maybe it was the difference between middle class and working class.

My parents moved out when they got married and bought a bungalow. I believe it worked in pretty much the same way for all my uncles and aunties apart from the one uncle who went to Uni.

A bungalow? Were they already collecting their pensions when they got married? :D

Not so much 'social class' maybe, as a lack of a sense of adventure? It's obviously a safer option to stay cosily at home and be looked after than to strike out for yourself in the big, bad world?

Cyclone - I was referring to the post above mine.

I did not mean to suggest that anyone was referring to me specifically in their post which is why I didn't write that. What I meant was that given we shouldn't be paying rent to landlords (according to the post) and I cannot live with a parent where is it that they believe I should live? I didn't believe they were making a personal comment about my specific situation just that if you can have an opinion about a group or situation as a whole you must be able to apply it to the people specifically or would it not just be a crass generalisation which you cannot back up?

Edited by 3nicky1
spelling

A bungalow? Were they already collecting their pensions when they got married? :D

Apparently they were popular in the mid 70's, that's when the majority of them were build I believe.

Not so much 'social class' maybe, as a lack of a sense of adventure? It's obviously a safer option to stay cosily at home and be looked after than to strike out for yourself in the big, bad world?

Maybe, but if so it must have affected an entire generation.

Cyclone - I was referring to the post above mine.

I did not mean to suggest that anyone was referring to me specifically in their post which is why I didn't write that. What I meant was that given we shouldn't be paying rent to landlords (according to the post) and I cannot live with a parent where is it that they believe I should live?

As you already noted, he wasn't giving you specifically advice.

I didn't believe they were making a personal comment about my specific situation just that if you can have an opinion about a group or situation as a whole you must be able to apply it to the people specifically or would it not just be a crass generalisation which you cannot back up?

You don't think that you might be in a minority amongst graduates of not having the option of living with your parents for a while?