First time abroad with children - recommendations?

Looking at going abroad next year with an 11 year old child. She has never flown before and it's been a long long time since I went abroad too. Can anyone recommend or advise against anywhere for a first time visit?

We've been looking at Spain and Cyprus, although Cyprus looks like too long a flight for a first time. Open to any suggestions other than those two places though.

Thanks.

It depends on what time of year you're planning on going. Cyprus is extremely hot for even an 11 year old, during the six weeks holidays.

It depends on what time of year you're planning on going. Cyprus is extremely hot for even an 11 year old, during the six weeks holidays.

It will be during the school holidays, it's the only time I can have off work. The heat was one thing I was worried about.

Too hot for a child unless you keep in the shade and wear factor 50 cream.october is a nice to time to go away no packed beaches and prices cheap.

I heard Salou is a really good family destination, close to Barcelona too.

Get some scopolamine based tablets for air sickness just in case since it's her first time flying.

Cyprus will be roasting hot during the summer. Does it have to be a seaside holiday?

anywhere down on the Med is unbearably scorchio in August, more hot than anything you can experience in England. May school hols would be a much better time to go

It depends what you're looking for, in terms of a 'type' of holiday. If you're going for a hotel with a great entertainments package for kids, then as long as you don't pick somewhere too hot, you should be sorted, read hotel reviews first on trip advisor and holidays uncovered before booking anywhere. I'd personally avoid Cyprus, Malta, Tunisia, Egypt because of the heat. Canaries get pretty hot too, but, in my opinion would be ok as long as you get somewhere with air conditioning. Northern Spain/Southern France is nice but Southern France can be extremely expensive.

it may be best to consider entire journey time, not just the flight

Perhaps consider flights from Doncaster first, and look for a short transfer at the other end

Reading some of the replies this thread makes going on holiday sound like a proper ordeal!

All the major resorts are set up for family holidays - yes it will be hot, but an 11 year old will be able to cope as well as an adult I'm sure.

it may be best to consider entire journey time, not just the flight

Perhaps consider flights from Doncaster first, and look for a short transfer at the other end

Well East Mids is less than hour, Manchester and Birmingham not much more - I'm sure an 11 year old can cope with an extra 20 minutes in the car..

Same with transfers at the other end - I'm sure an 11 year old can amuse themselves with a few games of Angry Birds for the duration!

Canaries aren't too hot in August, despite being so southerly, and closer to the equator than Cyprus. Those Atlantic winds, keep the temps down. The north of Tenerife, for example, is also noticeably cooler than the south, where the biggest resorts are. Average temp in Puerto de La Cruz, is only about 25C in August. On the southern coast, it's more like 30C.

of course even 25C, which would not be too hot for me, could easily be too hot for somebody else.

don't worry about the flight, she'll love it, even if it's 4.5 hours.