Who remembers Stooers

I thought it was only my mum that used to shop at Stooers (co-op) when we lived at Pitsmoor a long time ago. Does anyone remember Bladens on Fowler street.

My 93yr old mother can still remember her divi number!

My first pair of football boots were from t' stoors, Stanley Matthews, 16 bob.

I remember it well. The blue sugar bags, loose butter, noisy wooden floor and the little yellow perforated slip that they wrote the divi number on.... my moms was 21289 ::)

My dad worked at stooers all his working life with the exception of the war years when he was in the RAF. I remember him weighing up the sugar into blue bags and boning out sides of bacon before shoving them on the slicer. We used to buy milk cheques, or tokens on a weekly basis and put them out daily for the milk man. Bread was unwrapped and unsliced and all veg was loose and unwashed.

I have not lived in Sheffield for 53 years, since I left to join the RAF myself, but I still remember my mum's share number, (8331). I don't think they use them any more do they, at least not down here, we just have yet another plastic card to shove in the machine at the cash out.

Mike

I remember it well. The blue sugar bags, loose butter, noisy wooden floor and the little yellow perforated slip that they wrote the divi number on.... my moms was 21289 ::)

We used to call it 'tub butter' due to it being delivered to shops in thin wooden tubs, I recall it being exactly like Lurpak butter, perhaps it was? It wasn't until I left Sheffield and moved south that I ate posh packet butter as tub butter was unavailable.

My 93yr old mother can still remember her divi number!

My dad can still remember his mum's divi number from when he was sent to the stoo-ers as a kid.

ha ha yes.My mum and dad bought everything from the one in Rotherham it was nassive.And they did funerals and we had a wedding reception there.I remember the money taken at the counter went along a long chute to get to the office,and yes we had a divi.When I got married the shops had stamps you collected.:)

My Mum regularly shopped at Stannington Stooers - her divi number was 5502.

Does anyone remember Cyril the butcher who worked there ?

yer i remember stoors at pitsmoor we used to live there when it was the old pitsmoor that was all slums, thats before they built all the flats and maisonettes we moved on to gleadless valley then. at the bottom of our street haywood rd near woodside there was a fruit and veg shop called nancy's i went to pye bank school which i hated, my mother would send me to the co-op for bread milk and stuff. the assistants would ask for my co-op number which i hadn't a clue i would listen to someone else give theirs and give them one similar i think it was a 5 figure number but it's faded with time. i also remember sugar being weighed out in blue bags, and crisps i tin boxes inn front of counter, i think the only ones you could get were smiths and XL crisps. and bacon being sliced on a machine and you could have as many slices as you wanted maybe only 2 or 3, the same with eggs if you only wanted 2 you could have 2, same with cheese have as much or as little as you wanted not like today were you have to have in most cases packets of rubbish bacon even cheese comes ready packed . i'm not hankering after the old way but it did have some bemefits. PS one more think sops like the co-op would have a chair to sit onb and fresh saw dust on butchers floors

I remember the one on Valley Road , Nanan used to send me for loose butter, I can smell that shop now , smelled of parafin and moth balls :) The money shutes mesmorised me , a little cylinder shaped pot where the money was placed before whizzing across the shop to the office where a stern looking man sat and did the books, can also remember broken biscuits ;)

I thought it was only my mum that used to shop at Stooers (co-op) when we lived at Pitsmoor a long time ago. Does anyone remember Bladens on Fowler street.

Yeah, I remember Bladens. Down at the bottom(nearly). There was a butchers down there too, Kramers, remember him? Always good for a bit of scrag end during the war. To the right person of course.