The Jessica Ennis Stand

Jess Ennis has done so well this year, and being from the same city should make us all proud of her.

I really can't see the logic behind naming a stand after her though.

Surely there are more deserving people that are actually connected to the club? (and don't give me all that talk about her fella being a Blade etc, what happens if she dumps him?)

Tony Currie, Alan Woodward, Len Badger, Brian Deane, Mel Rees...

Billy I'm in total agreement with every word you've said m8, personally my choice would be Mel Rees.

You could extend that out as far as England and GB then too? - why bother being proud of Hoy, Kenny, Redgrave, Coe, etc just because they come from this same bit of national mud, why even bother with sport at all... 1966 - just some random people kicking a ball around that happen to be English...why bother associating with a football team that just happens to be based in S6 (though that's a mystery anyway :hihi:)

I was agreeing with all that,but then you had to let ya sen down.:hihi:

Strikes a little bit of trying to get publicity on the back of a Sheffield lass who just made good.

"The Jess Ennis I don't really like football, but my boyfriend is a blade stand" doesn't really have a ring to it, does it?

As a Blade I have to agree. It's all a bit desperate

As a Blade I have to agree. It's all a bit desperate

Me too, as much as i commend Jess for her achievements, it just smacks of jumping on the bandwagon (lets all agree with the owls fans, it confuses em....:hihi::hihi:)

Blatant jumping on the bandwagon! Don Valley Stadium wouldve been more appropriate. Why not just go the whole hog and change Sufc's nickname from The Blades to The Jessies?

Aidy your manager showed himself up on Radio Sheffield today. All the fans said poor performance, he reckons it was all down to the ref and officials :hihi:

You could extend that out as far as England and GB then too? - why bother being proud of Hoy, Kenny, Redgrave, Coe, etc just because they come from this same bit of national mud, why even bother with sport at all... 1966 - just some random people kicking a ball around that happen to be English...why bother associating with a football team that just happens to be based in S6 (though that's a mystery anyway :hihi:)

Completely agree with everything you've said up to a point, the point being all those who are 'proud' of Jessica are hardly die hard athletics fans are they?

Football is a completely different story, you spend a good amount of money and time travelling to watch games, buy merchandise etc you make a long term emotional investment into your team and to some extent country (although not personally I don't give 2 hoots about the national side)

Now I have explained I'm absolutely happy for those who followed Jess at other meetings and have followed her to exclaim pride in her achievement, it was after all a great performance from a supreme athlete, but all the hullabaloo has probably made her blush and she was probably wondering where the 20,000 or so that came out for the reception were at all the AAA meetings she's had to go to.

BANDWAGON

Completely agree with everything you've said up to a point, the point being all those who are 'proud' of Jessica are hardly die hard athletics fans are they?

Football is a completely different story, you spend a good amount of money and time travelling to watch games, buy merchandise etc you make a long term emotional investment into your team and to some extent country (although not personally I don't give 2 hoots about the national side)

Now I have explained I'm absolutely happy for those who followed Jess at other meetings and have followed her to exclaim pride in her achievement, it was after all a great performance from a supreme athlete, but all the hullabaloo has probably made her blush and she was probably wondering where the 20,000 or so that came out for the reception were at all the AAA meetings she's had to go to.

BANDWAGON

not like a promotion bandwagon then... eg the wycombe crowd?

Here we go again with the pointless attacks from Owls fans.

Let's get this straight and put it to bed shall we. Sheffield United Football Club are in no way benefiting from Jess Ennis's name, we will receive no additional financial gain from the renaming of the stand. If anything Sheffield United will lose potential revenue by giving up potential sponsorship naming rights by honouring Jess at the lane.

Theres nothing in this for United what so ever. Links between the club and Jess's close family and partner exist and this has simply brought the idea to fruition. If anything United deserve gratitude for taking the time to honour the athlete on behalf of Blades fans and the City in a respect.

Sheffield Wednesday recently applied for and were granted and received government funding for new training facilities on Penistone Road on the understanding that they provide facilities for the surrounding areas. Sheffield Wednesday football club will no doubt benefit from this despite it all being gifted for free on the understanding they serve the local community. You don't see petty Blades coming in about this really do you? If anything we are happy that new facilities will be made available for the whole of Sheffield not to mention local charities.

My point being you lot will benefit from these new facilities, we are getting nothing from naming a stand after Jess. Get over it, you have no grounds for your attacks!

Here we go again with the pointless attacks from Owls fans.

Let's get this straight and put it to bed shall we. Sheffield United Football Club are in no way benefiting from Jess Ennis's name, we will receive no additional financial gain from the renaming of the stand. If anything Sheffield United will lose potential revenue by giving up potential sponsorship naming rights by honouring Jess at the lane.

Theres nothing in this for United what so ever. Links between the club and Jess's close family and partner exist and this has simply brought the idea to fruition. If anything United deserve gratitude for taking the time to honour the athlete on behalf of Blades fans and the City in a respect.

Sheffield Wednesday recently applied for and were granted and received government funding for new training facilities on Penistone Road on the understanding that they provide facilities for the surrounding areas. Sheffield Wednesday football club will no doubt benefit from this despite it all being gifted for free on the understanding they serve the local community. You don't see petty Blades coming in about this really do you? If anything we are happy that new facilities will be made available for the whole of Sheffield not to mention local charities.

My point being you lot will benefit from these new facilities, we are getting nothing from naming a stand after Jess. Get over it, you have no grounds for your attacks!

Thats not quite correct is it.You see if the blaids had nothing to gain from naming a stand after a local "relevant" sporting hero they would have surely gone for Alan Woodward (pls note my capitals for his name).They are just trying to jump on her bandwagon and you are dim if you can't see that.The whole of Sheffield is proud of Jess and I for one do not care one iota who she may or may not support.Truth be known she's probably cringeing at the thought of having a stand named after her,you really are a sad lot aren't you.

Thats not quite correct is it.You see if the blaids had nothing to gain from naming a stand after a local "relevant" sporting hero they would have surely gone for Alan Woodward (pls note my capitals for his name).They are just trying to jump on her bandwagon and you are dim if you can't see that.The whole of Sheffield is proud of Jess and I for one do not care one iota who she may or may not support.Truth be known she's probably cringeing at the thought of having a stand named after her,you really are a sad lot aren't you.

You sure of that point

So we inhabit the same bit of mud, I don't get why we should be proud of her.

The people who should be proud of her are her family/friends or coaches that have helped her achieve the summit of her chosen sport.

I applaud her but it's a bit desperate trying to associate myself with someones glory based on what's under my feet.

This Jess Ennis obsession on SF is so booooooooorrrring.

The girl did well to win her gold medal but a handshake and a pat on the back would have done.

The civic reception has to be one of the most embarrasing things I've seen.

Edited by Paul Blade

Oh dear, seriously why does this ridiculously large chip on you lots shoulders cloud your judgement?

What do Sheffield United Football Club have to gain from the renaming of our stand to honour a local successful olympian?

Simple fact being we could have gone out and got a sponsor instead who would have paid for the sole naming rights of the stand?

Get a grip! I can't say i'm too fussed about the renaming of the stand personally. In fact I can go the whole heap by saying that although I am proud of Jess Ennis for getting the gold I do feel it has all been hyped out of proportion and I will be even more so impressed should she do it again in four years but for now shes just a great athlete from Sheffield.

You lot speak no rational sense what so ever!