The Jessica Ennis Stand

what else could she say,i expect she'll avoid the area like the plague in future and colour up when she does have to pass it,still if it pleases you lot then i'm happy for you.You do all come across as being a bit simple though

Hmm, so by your definition being proud of Sheffield's best athlete ever, and the club naming a stand after her, makes us Blades simple. We didn't do anything for Coe as he's about as Sheffield is as Barnsley, I would imagine there's a few Blades on here that's forgotten more than you'll ever know old bean.

what else could she say,i expect she'll avoid the area like the plague in future and colour up when she does have to pass it,still if it pleases you lot then i'm happy for you.You do all come across as being a bit simple though

Why should she avoid the area like the plague its where she comes from , its where she actually grew up (Highfields) and actually went to school ( Sharrow junior school).

No doubt the next childlike response will be decrying Sharrow and questioning why anybody would want to go back there.

You really did not put much thought into your last post did you ?

updated it, cheers

Not aimed at you my fault not being direct

I said certain group of people must be simple I got ban my fault

Her hometown honouring her should be related to the sports she is successful in - so Don Valley Stadium if anything.

And it should also recognise her outstanding global and national successes - which isn't something which bears any parallel to Sheffield United, a third tier team who have won nothing in our lifetimes. If anything, naming a stand after her at the lane would be a dismal insult. You might as well name a traffic light after her on the outer ring road.

Her hometown honouring her should be related to the sports she is successful in - so Don Valley Stadium if anything.

And it should also recognise her outstanding global and national successes - which isn't something which bears any parallel to Sheffield United, a third tier team who have won nothing in our lifetimes. If anything, naming a stand after her at the lane would be a dismal insult. You might as well name a traffic light after her on the outer ring road.

I'm assuming you have wrote to Royal Mail as well and asked why they have painted a post box gold in her honour....I mean, it's not like she works for them or anything is it???

We have simply honoured a city/national heroine.....what's wrong with that?

I can't remember there being this much uproar when Hillsborough had the 'wet paint' stand for a season (well that's what it said on the signs anyway!)

Let's get this straight and put it to bed shall we. Sheffield United Football Club are in no way benefiting from Jess Ennis's name, we will receive no additional financial gain from the renaming of the stand. If anything Sheffield United will lose potential revenue by giving up potential sponsorship naming rights by honouring Jess at the lane.

For a club supposedly attempting to get of the third tier to attempt to compete with their currently superior city rivals (on the basis of playing in a higher division) wouldn't it better to obtain revenue (thus seeking every advantage they can get) than naming one of their stands after someone whose occupation is completely unconnected with the club? This is from a supporter of club that has no current rivalry with Sheffield United.

And it should also recognise her outstanding global and national successes - which isn't something which bears any parallel to Sheffield United, a third tier team who have won nothing in our lifetimes.

What if she decides to support the other team? :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I'm assuming you have wrote to Royal Mail as well and asked why they have painted a post box gold in her honour....I mean, it's not like she works for them or anything is it???

We have simply honoured a city/national heroine.....what's wrong with that?

I can't remember there being this much uproar when Hillsborough had the 'wet paint' stand for a season (well that's what it said on the signs anyway!)

I suppose I might name a chair in my office the 'The Colin Firth Chair' because I once saw him sit on a chair in a film. That has about the same level of connection and value as united naming a stand after Ennis.

What if she decides to support the other team? :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Well as a team that has won silverware* in our lifetimes, she'd be welcome.

* as a charlton fan, you will also be unaware of what silverware is. It's a trophy to recognise coming frst in something. Let us know when you win one :thumbsup:

Surely if we can have a Jessica Ennis stand we should also be having a Bobby Knutt stand and a Marti Caine stand, I mean come on, these giants of light entertainment really did put Sheffield on the map in the mid seventies!!

Well as a team that has won silverware* in our lifetimes, she'd be welcome.

* as a charlton fan, you will also be unaware of what silverware is. It's a trophy to recognise coming frst in something. Let us know when you win one :thumbsup:

I thought Charlton won League one last year, i'm sure that Trophy is Silver?

As for the stand, I sort of agree that it is strange that a stand has been named after her, but harm never came from doing something nice for someone, no matter how unconnected they are, i'll let Jess speak for herself on whether she finds it a "dismal insult" rather than take your word for it.

And with regards to the comment about shouldn't we be making a profit out of the naming, again I will say that no harm ever came from doing a nice thing.

Lastly I agree Don Valley would be a better option but as they haven't done that yet I still think it's a nice gesture.

I suppose I might name a chair in my office the 'The Colin Firth Chair' because I once saw him sit on a chair in a film. That has about the same level of connection and value as united naming a stand after Ennis.

Naming rights have already been taken for Colin Firth mate.....he's the printer in my office! sorry....

There is still room for the 'Roy Hattersley' spit bucket down at the Barracks though!