The Jessica Ennis Stand

Maybe the best athlete Sheffield has produced, to say she is the best athlete this country has ever produced is rubbish.

Daley Thompson anyone, 2 x Olympic champion, once world champion, 2 x European champion, 3 x commonwealth champion. All in the decathlon.

you say rubbish, i said perhaps. !

In todays modern era, with more competitors, pound for pound, Jess record stands up to the best.

I accept Daley Thompson is a serious contender. But am entitled to an opinion.

From Sky Sports News this morning...

"SHEFFIELD UTD RE-NAME BRAMALL LANE STAND AFTER OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALLIST JESSICA ENNIS"

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/blades-rename-bramall-lane-stand-after-olympic-champion-ennis-1-4882461

Odd decision that! What's next, get Beany with his 02 connections on board for sponsorship, could have "The Sean Bean O2 Stand" instead... :hihi:

Wonder if the owls will rename Leppings Lane the Michael Vaughan Stand, after the 2005 Ashes win :hihi:

Don Valley Stadium would've been more appropriate for a stand naming really...

"SHEFFIELD UTD RE-NAME BRAMALL LANE STAND AFTER OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALLIST JESSICA ENNIS"

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/blades-rename-bramall-lane-stand-after-olympic-champion-ennis-1-4882461

Odd decision that! What's next, get Beany with his 02 connections on board for sponsorship, could have "The Sean Bean O2 Stand" instead... :hihi:

Wonder if the owls will rename Leppings Lane the Michael Vaughan Stand, after the 2005 Ashes win :hihi:

Oh dear, so it's true :hihi: living off others glory, how embarrassing. Hope Jessica knows about it :hihi::hihi:

I find this a strange decision. Yes it's nice they have acknowledged her success but it's not football related at all. I know jess a little, trained on wodbourne road track and competed in same athletics meets. After finding out a few years ago she was a blade, I and many other fellow running owls have ribbed her about it usually getting the reply she hasn't been to the lane since she was a little girl. She does follow the results but only because of her dad and fiancé.

Alteredemged you obviously don't know what jess as had to do, the sacrifices made and the pain & upset she has had to put up with if you think she didn't deserve the civic reception. 20000 people thought she did and turned up to show it.

To be the olympic champion means being better than tens of thousands of other female athletes in the world. That isn't done by running a few miles a day. It comes from an ave of 10hrs of training per day. Bet you don't even manage 10hrs a week.

Edited by runningowl

This is pretty cringeworthy to be honest. Why would a football team (with loads of history) re-name a stand after a non-footballer and a distant fan (at best)?

P.S. I'm not an Owl!

so it's true. i've kept off here because i thought it was just hearsay off twitter. i think it's ridiculous naming the stand after her, don valley fair enough but a football ground no. i wouldn't want them naming a stand at hillsborough after anyone unless it was a wednesday great. jess has done well and deserved the civic reception and whatever else comes with it but this is a definate no no for me

This is pretty cringeworthy to be honest. Why would a football team (with loads of history) re-name a stand after a non-footballer and a distant fan (at best)?

P.S. I'm not an Owl!

Perhaps I should get my team to name The Covered End after snooker player Steve Davis or even Björn Borg :loopy:

First of all i am shocked at the news and owe an apology for doubting the rumours, be it no one could provide any links to the validity of the plan.

As a big fan of Jessica Ennis, i still vent my disapproval of this move, TC many other Blades legends deserve the honour and of course have a bigger association with the Blades. SKY have got it wrong before, i really hope they have again.

Some strange goings on behind the scenes at the lane of late.

Edited by TAT

I thought the press were not supposed to ignore embargo dates. Especially those with April 1st :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Apparently discussions were held between McCabe and Jess Ennis and her family during the recent Civic Reception at the Town Hall. Kevin McCabe told Jess and her family that the club wanted to honour her in some way for her achievements for the city. It is known that Jess partner is a die hard Blades fan along with her relatives therefore she has strong connections with the club in that respects.

Mock it all you want but McCabe could well have gone down a commercial sponsorship route with the stand so fair play to him for recognising her achievements and naming the stand after her. Not sure what I think of it really, it won't directly have any impact on the team what so ever and well to be fair it's only a name isn't it!

I think embarassing is a little over the top, we've named the stand after a local hero, OK it is odd as she's not a Footballer and hasn't really done anything for the club but it is a "nice" thing to do for a local lass.

It definitely wouldn't have been my choice and agree that there are lots of other places that would have been more suitable but its hardly embarassing?