56.7% of birth in London to foreign mums

I think what the link in the OP illustrates is the pressure put on public services like maternity services by the volume of migrants, that is an undeniable fact.

And the root cause of all this is the Labour administration of post 1997 who opened up the doors to the nation with little or no thought to the consequences or planning for a massive increase in population that their immigration policy would cause.

The Impact of Immigration on Maternity Services in England

I was merely trying to reassure the patient that their "dailymailparanoea syndrome" (irrational fear of brown people) is entirely curable with a good dose of logic and common sense.
So actually, you have no idea what's happening in that area, and were just making it up. Very reassuring. :rolleyes:

I guess this is part of the problem, people who have no knowledge of what's actually happening trying to 'reassure' the people who have? Trying to convince people that the evidence of their own eyes is wrong, based purely on your own prejudices and opinions is never going to work.

It's like me from my cosy little Woodseats base, trying to 'reassure' my friend in Page Hall that all the bad things that happen in his area aren't really happening, and that even if they are, the EU is still worth being a member of.

I think what the link in the OP illustrates is the pressure put on public services like maternity services by the volume of migrants, that is an undeniable fact.

And the root cause of all this is the Labour administration of post 1997 who opened up the doors to the nation with little or no thought to the consequences or planning for a massive increase in population that their immigration policy would cause.

The Impact of Immigration on Maternity Services in England

On the three occasions I've been in Jessops in the past five years, twice for the birth of my own children and once to visit, there was a disproportionate amount of Arab or Samali looking people in there; the same goes for the waiting area's of the childrens hospital and the northern general.

I think any rational discussion about immigration has to consider all the salient features of it, the rough and the smooth.

Forgive me for once again ploughing this particular furrow, but the NHS is my popular example of the 'silver lining' because quite simply the role of immigrants within it isn't discrete, they work in all aspects of it, and from my last recollection make up around a third of the workforce, not including the descendants of immigrants who work in it too.

That isn't to say immigration doesn't have inherent problems, I fully acknowledge that, but in responding to the most woefully xenophobic statements you can probably appreciate how views become polarised.

Tell me, have you ever considered the silver lining as well as the cloud?

Of course I have but i've also been at the sharp end of it as well and i've seen the reality of immigrants. Unlike yourself who appears to believe that all immigrants are poor, broken angels kept down by the boot of John Bulls oppression. Then you make snide asides at any poster who dare question your oracle like opinion on the subject or question their intelligence or spelling as though you are the last word and shouldn't be contradicted.

Again the reason you choose the NHS is nothing to do with amount of immigrants within it but because of how people perceive the NHS. Its an emotional response you play on within people. Immigrants are massively disproportionately employed as cleaners but you never pick that as an example. Agricultural labourers, factory labourers, translators, taxi drivers, food delivery drivers, takeaway employees and restaurant workers are all massively overly represented by immigrants in my experience but you never refer to them. Its always the NHS because people won't want to lose a nurse/doctor/anesthetist but anyone can deliver a pizza or empty a bin and you know it.

The reality is there are immigrants who are milking and abusing the system. They are pleased to do so. They can't believe their luck. They are giving a bad name to the immigrants who came here, work hard, try to better themselves. Its not right, its not fair and by not acknowledging or speaking about it you aren't helping. Objectivity is the only way to resolve anything.

Edited by discodown

So actually, you have no idea what's happening in that area, and were just making it up. Very reassuring. :rolleyes:

I guess this is part of the problem, people who have no knowledge of what's actually happening trying to 'reassure' the people who have? Trying to convince people that the evidence of their own eyes is wrong, based purely on your own prejudices and opinions is never going to work.

It's like me from my cosy little Woodseats base, trying to 'reassure' my friend in Page Hall that all the bad things that happen in his area aren't really happening, and that even if they are, the EU is still worth being a member of.

Well said Ruby, it isn't people living in the wealthier parts of the city that suffer the consequences. My kids primary school has two interpreters, and has had to dedicate a significant amount of space and resources just for the EAL kids, and is the same situation in other local schools. Can the same be said at the other side of town in places like Banner Cross and Totley etc?

Do people in these areas walk into their doctors surgeries to find it rammed with migrants, and can't get appointments for days and days?

Edited by mj.scuba

Forgive me for once again ploughing this particular furrow, but the NHS is my popular example of the 'silver lining' because quite simply the role of immigrants within it isn't discrete, they work in all aspects of it, and from my last recollection make up around a third of the workforce, not including the descendants of immigrants who work in it too.

A disproportionate amount of people in waiting areas of hospitals at any one time are immigrants it seems to me.

Well said Ruby, it isn't people living in the wealthier parts of the city that suffer the consequences. My kids primary school has two interpreters, and has had to dedicate a significant amount of space and resources just for the EAL kids, and is the same situation in other local schools. Can the same be said at the other side of town in places like Banner Cross and Totley etc?

Do people in these areas walk into their doctors surgeries to find it rammed with migrants, and can't get appointments for days and days?

When I go to the doctors I know the reason I'll get an appointment is because there are so many immigrant doctors. Without them it'd be weeks.

When I go to the doctors I know the reason I'll get an appointment is because there are so many immigrant doctors. Without them it'd be weeks.

Only if you just kicked the doctors out, kick them all out, which I am not advocating and your waiting time will be the same, because now there will also be substantially less patients and my doctor will have the time to see you.

On the three occasions I've been in Jessops in the past five years, twice for the birth of my own children and once to visit, there was a disproportionate amount of Arab or Samali looking people in there; the same goes for the waiting area's of the childrens hospital and the northern general.

Twaddle, basically. Just, "Twaddle".

(oh, and what the heck are "Samali"?)

Twaddle, basically. Just, "Twaddle".

(oh, and what the heck are "Samali"?)

Were you there with her? If not how do you know?

I'd just like to say that the service provided by the NHS, with the large amount of overseas staff, has deteriorated substantially.

Home trained staff are much better. Anyone who knows someone who has worked through the NHS's transformation will verify this, if they're honest. Although, plain honesty generally goes out of the window when discussing immigration.

Another difficult issue to raise is, are immigrants, or their 1st or 2nd generation offspring, entitled to comment on what the positives of immigration are? They have only benefited, so they are, of course, forced to see the good side.

To really comment on whether anyone, who's family are established here, has benefited from Nu Labours mass immigration, they would have had to be entitled to all the benefits, pre and post mass immigration, in the first place?

I'll put my tin hat on...it needed saying though. :)

How do you mean 'disproportionate' exactly?