56.7% of birth in London to foreign mums

Ever been to the quaint market towns of Boston,Spalding or Wisbech where the predominant tongue is now no longer English.Come to think of it they have lost the quaint as well.

No need to go that far, just try some of the local primary and secondary schools in Sheffield.

..and how long do you think it'll take those foreign tongues to speak the Queen's English?
they wont need to a interpretor will be on hand to help them out :hihi::hihi::hihi: hiya bf :wave:

Think you've got yourself a bit confused there retep, the staff at the benefits office will only be troubled by the natives, the non English speakers don't regard carrot topping an occupation beneath them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7288430.stm

From your link.

But the councillor feels this latest influx has gone too far - with not enough government money to recognise the real scale and impact of the recent immigration.

He points out the local GP surgery which has received a thousand immigrant patients in the last six months and a primary school coping with 24 languages.

In a church hall, a Polish politician addresses a room full of his countrymen - seeing whether any might be tempted back home to a country now short of workers.

they wont need to a interpretor will be on hand to help them out :hihi::hihi::hihi: hiya bf :wave:

...well I hope they construct sentences better than you do rg :D

Let's put another spin on it, are you more bothered by a foreign born GP having children in the UK, than a British ex pat, who might have paid nothing into the system, returning to the UK for free NHS treatment?
Lets ask you a question.

What would it take for you to say that unchecked immigration is a problem?

You always put that slant on it. You always answer any allegations of immigration being a bad thing by saying "well the nhs is pretty much staffed by immigrants" and thats fair enough. But should we accept that in exchange for getting a percentage of immigrants who contribute positively we have been also getting a much bigger percentage who haven't? A percentage who for whatever reason aren't working, aren't contributing and in some cases don't want to?

There has to be a point where you admit that the silver lining has a cloud attached to it. When will it be? When our infra structure totally breaks down? Slightly before that? When the NHS is broken up and can't absorb all these saintly immigrants so they have little choice but to have a negative impact?

And before you scream "RACIST" at me. Bear in mind i've worked in Howden House so i've seen both sides of the coin. I've seen immigrants who were close to sainthood. People who worked 3 jobs to try to make ends meet. I knew a guy who was a doctor in his home country who worked as a cleaner here and was grateful to do so. I've met a guy who was tortured in his home country and dumped in Sheffield and unable to speak any english and left to fend for himself. I've met students from Libya who had their funding cut off when their country fell and didn't know if they had a home or family or University to go home to. On the flip side i've met people who are trying their best to rip off the system, landlords and sheffield council and its people and stay out of work. People who are trying to stay one step in front of the law and abusing the hospitality of this country and its people. There are two sides to this story.

..and how long do you think it'll take those foreign tongues to speak the Queen's English?
probably never judging on present experience, where we're now on the third, maybe even fourth generation and many still prefer to speak a foreign language amongst themselves and in public.

Personally, I'm fed up of not being able to understand what's being said in my own backyard, but unless I have the capability of learning some 20 odd languages, according to Mr Smith's post, I'm just going to have to get used to it.

I think it's all wishful thinking on your part.

Edited by rubydazzler
to correct a sweeping generalisation!

Lets ask you a question.

What would it take for you to say that unchecked immigration is a problem?

You always put that slant on it. You always answer any allegations of immigration being a bad thing by saying "well the nhs is pretty much staffed by immigrants" and thats fair enough. But should we accept that in exchange for getting a percentage of immigrants who contribute positively we have been also getting a much bigger percentage who haven't? A percentage who for whatever reason aren't working, aren't contributing and in some cases don't want to?

There has to be a point where you admit that the silver lining has a cloud attached to it. When will it be? When our infra structure totally breaks down? Slightly before that? When the NHS is broken up and can't absorb all these saintly immigrants so they have little choice but to have a negative impact?

And before you scream "RACIST" at me. Bear in mind i've worked in Howden House so i've seen both sides of the coin. I've seen immigrants who were close to sainthood. People who worked 3 jobs to try to make ends meet. I knew a guy who was a doctor in his home country who worked as a cleaner here and was grateful to do so. I've met a guy who was tortured in his home country and dumped in Sheffield and unable to speak any english and left to fend for himself. I've met students from Libya who had their funding cut off when their country fell and didn't know if they had a home or family or University to go home to. On the flip side i've met people who are trying their best to rip off the system, landlords and sheffield council and its people and stay out of work. People who are trying to stay one step in front of the law and abusing the hospitality of this country and its people. There are two sides to this story.

You're recollections of my contributions is a slanted one. I've consistently said here that immigration should be STRICTLY controlled, it's a fairly unequivocal statement and I fully support the Tories approach to immigration.

You also know very little about me if you believe I scream RACIST at anybody, so take control of yourself please.

probably never judging on present experience, where we're now on the third, maybe even fourth generation and many still prefer to speak a foreign language amongst themselves and in public.

Personally, I'm fed up of not being able to understand what's being said in my own backyard, but unless I have the capability of learning some 20 odd languages, according to Mr Smith's post, I'm just going to have to get used to it.

I think it's all wishful thinking on your part.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but the immigrants that the poster was referring to whom I responded to (ie those drawn to agricultural work in Lincolnshire and Norfolk), are mainly east Europeans, who generally have a good grasp of English, it's unlikely you'd encounter a third or fourth generation Pole who was unable to speak English, that isn't wishful thinking on my part.

You're recollections of my contributions is a slanted one. I've consistently said here that immigration should be STRICTLY controlled, it's a fairly unequivocal statement and I fully support the Tories approach to immigration.

You also know very little about me if you believe I scream RACIST at anybody, so take control of yourself please.

Yet thats at odds with your approach to anyone who expresses concerns about immigration. You always dismiss their concerns by stating some immigrants work for the NHS therefore all immigrants should be allowed to enter and roam freely and nobody should question your opinion.

How curious

There has to be a point where you admit that the silver lining has a cloud attached to it. When will it be?

That'll be round about here at post 94 and on several other occasions in this thread and elsewhere on the forum:

I think most of us are sick of the negative aspects of immigration, however they're superseded by the positive ones, as I said before for every good thing there are negative aspects to it..I'd love to own a Ferrari, but would moan bitterly about the fuel and maintenance costs, but it doesn't affect my desire to take ownership of one.

are mainly east Europeans, who generally have a good grasp of English
Know them all do you?

Not my experience of Eastern Europeans. Some do, some don't. Don't make generalisations you can't possibly substantiate, especially about people in other counties

Yet thats at odds with your approach to anyone who expresses concerns about immigration. You always dismiss their concerns by stating some immigrants work for the NHS therefore all immigrants should be allowed to enter and roam freely and nobody should question your opinion.

How curious

Nothing curious whatsoever, the NHS is a major employer that relies heavily on immigrant labour. I raise it merely as an example to those who have a one eyed view of immigration ie ban it out of hand.

What is more curious is that I've not mentioned it at all on this thread yet you seek to highlight my previous contributions on other threads, it appears you have your own agenda.

This thread isn't about immigration, do you have something relevant to say about the OP?