56.7% of birth in London to foreign mums

How do you think Great Britain got 'great' in the first place?

By exploiting the resources of other countries.

Nope I would love to see the UK helping the rest of the world instead of sucking their recourses dry for our own selfish needs.

We have to redress the balance somehow dont we? After all those damn pesky funny coloured people are sucking us dry. And we give them aid too.

My ironyometer has just blew its top.

The 'face of this country' has been in a perpetual state of change, crikey it's not as if all the indigenous British folks look the same is it?!

I agree, we all look different and Countries do change, but over a great length of time. This Country has changed over a very very short period of time, therein lies the problem, much too many "incommers" over such a short period spells disaster.

Angel.

By exploiting the resources of other countries.

Doesn't your post #111 contradict your post #113?

That’s difference between us, I care about the people of other countries, whilst you just care about how they can be exploited.

Yes of course you do, why don't you move to Somalia then and give them back something you believe we've taken?

I think people are forgetting that Britain is an aging population with lots of older people, living longer. Which is obviously a good thing. However, more elderly people and fewer youngsters would mean less people paying into the system to look after people to old or infirm to look after ourselves.

For a variety of cultural/social reasons people are not having as many kids as they used to; so British children born to parents who themselves not born in England isn't an issue as they will help to ease potential problems in the future.

If you look at population age charts, you'll see there is a blip, a bulge of people getting to the senior ages, which is down to the baby boomers. Macabre as it may be, the people in that blip will eventually die.

On its own it would be a relatively short term problem, massively increasing the population to deal with this particular problem is just a house of cards, since they will also get old, place additional demand on services throughout their lifetimes etc.

The UK has been going through another baby boom over the last few years, a migrant baby boom, so the problems we are seeing at the moment with an aging population we should expect to see again in 70 years.

Edited by mj.scuba

I agree, we all look different and Countries do change, but over a great length of time. This Country has changed over a very very short period of time, therein lies the problem, much too many "incommers" over such a short period spells disaster.

Angel.

But weren't people saying the same when we had an influx of Irish in the 19th Cent, & then again the 50s & 60s with people from Caribbean & Indian counties?

We have to redress the balance somehow dont we?

The only way to redress the balance is to invest in their country, create jobs in their country and make sure their country as the ability to retain its medical staff and other skilled workers.

But hey, our old people need their arses wiping so why should you give a dam about the old people in other countries.

Doesn't your post #111 contradict your post #113?

No :huh:......

Yes of course you do, why don't you move to Somalia then and give them back something you believe we've taken?

Because I'm not Somalian and I can't give back what has been exploited.:huh:

If you look at population age charts, you'll see there is a blip, a bulge of people getting to the senior ages, which is down to the baby boomers. Macabre as it may be macabre, the people in that blip will eventually die.

On its own it would be a relatively short term problem, massively increasing the population to deal with this particular problem is just a house of cards, since they will also get old, place additional demand on services throughout their lifetimes etc.

The UK has been going through another baby boom over the last few years, a migrant baby boom, so the problems we are seeing at the moment with an aging population we should expect to see again in 70 years.

No I hadn't thought of the house of cards scenario you outlined....

Angel.

Real example ANGELFIRE-my nephew is 'white', with mousey hair and blue eyes, to all casual observers he looks like a little white boy, so effectively his grandparents blackness has been bred out over 2 generations. Immigrants will assimilate with the host community, it takes relatively few years to do so, whether that's a good or a bad thing is open to debate but the 'face' of the country will change little, what does change is where those faces live, how they improve themselves and how they influence the indigenous culture.

I was driving through Hyson Green in Nottingham at the weekend, my passenger told me how it was once a thriving middle class suburb, that became a black community. It's now very diverse, my friend pointed out a Polish butcher that had been an Asian grocers for years and probably not long off becoming gentrified again a little like our own Broomhall has.

Population change is inherent in all developed communities, it isn't something to lament, it's a fact of life, it makes us richer and sometimes it makes us poorer, but it's part of the human condition to have an appreciation of the rough with the smooth.