How do the 'scrap metal' men get away with it?

An enterprising copper could leave out a few bikes fitted with tracking devices and see which scrap yards deal with the scrap men.

Are you sure about this?

When I tried to pay for my takeaway with a load of empty beer cans I got chased out of the shop! :huh:

no not the chinese over here silly....the scrap merchants in china....:hihi:

An enterprising copper could leave out a few bikes fitted with tracking devices and see which scrap yards deal with the scrap men.

that would mean filling out charge sheets...too much trouble

I dont mind giving scrap away when I have some, but for them to steal metal from me is unacceptable. Ive even had them trying to get through my gates onto the back of the house but a neighbour chased them off. I leave nothing out that is of any value, Also why should I, go and pay for things I have that have been worked hard for be stolen by whoever to say they are just trying to earn a living. I am, but that dosnt give them the right to nick it

regarding the bikes, Ive been in scrap yards when the loads come in, there are no checks other than an i.d demand for the cash payment. No, I dont collect scrap myself, I work for a living before the trolls start, doing a proper job. This bugs me on SF, that no matter what somebody posts there will always be somebody try to defend the scum thieves that blight our lives. No matter which way you look at it MOST of them STEAL the scrap/metalwork.

If I have not seen them steal it I cannot report it before anybody says anything, if I did see I would report it

Not only the stealing but one went past me the other day they had that much load on the back it had to be unsafe.

According to a programme I saw the other week, the police in other parts of the country, who actually seem keen to do their job, if the scrappers can't prove they were authorised to take any items found on their vehicle, both the vehicle and the scrap are impounded. Seems fair to me.

Although the police are supposed to have a presence on here, they never seem to post on these threads to defend themselves, do they? Wonder why?

Perhaps people should ask the cops for some of that smart water and chuck it over their belongings, then the scrap yards be forced to check for it, if it's present, call the cops and let them investigate.

Not only the stealing but one went past me the other day they had that much load on the back it had to be unsafe.

We were behind a flat bed transit a few days ago that had a whole car on it with the front end hanging off the back. All that held it on was a nylon strap around the front of the car, it was rocking all over the place as we followed it!

These are only the modern equivalent of the old rag and bone men who used to drive round shouting any old iron with their barrows or horse and carts.

Like every body else I draw the line at theft of any property,but I have taken advantage of these scavengers to take any bits of metal that I want shut of without running it to the dump or making an uneconomical trip to a cash metal dealer.

Until their is legislation to stop cash payments for scrap this problem won't go away.

It would be interesting to see where they end up but they'll often be too valuable as bikes to be weighed in. Viable items are just a nice little sideline to thieving scum.

These are only the modern equivalent of the old rag and bone men who used to drive round shouting any old iron with their barrows or horse and carts.

Like every body else I draw the line at theft of any property,but I have taken advantage of these scavengers to take any bits of metal that I want shut of without running it to the dump or making an uneconomical trip to a cash metal dealer.

Until their is legislation to stop cash payments for scrap this problem won't go away.

Spot on.

My brothers car was removed from his drive, the police was informed. He later found out the scrapmen had taken it and it had been crushed.

Granted the car had been on his drive in an abandoned state kinda looking a worst for ware but they still stole a full car !