What is Sheffield lacking in terms of eating out?

Thanks for the input. Any more thoughts welcome. I was trying to encourage my brother to go for the Berlin brunch type idea if anyone has been. People just sitting around all day with an eat all you can buffet, drinking lots of tea and coffee and reading papers. It's very relaxed with good food and can be a great way to spend a Sunday.

Daisyboo, as in the chain or just the style of cooking big meats on a big fire?

What an increasing number of people would like is somewhere where adults can go and eat in peace and quiet. Every restaurant and pub is now family-friendly, which means that you never know when your meal will be disrupted by children running around & babies crying. My friend & I had to leave our lunch early at the Riverside Cafe, as a number of women came in with their children & babies under 5, moved the tables round, shouting to each other as they did so & then let their little ones run screaming around the cafe. All 3 babies started yelling & the mums just looked complacent. The rest of us, there for a quiet lunch got up & left.

This has happened more often than I want to think about.

So a room where people can sit & eat, have a conversation, a quiet lunch or breakfast & leave less stressed than when they arrived would be brilliant. You'd attract all those people who no longer eat out & there are an increasing number.

There may well be the possibility of them being licensed so that may make it easy to keep kids out at certain times. I'm not how wise an idea it is to have a full time ban on children as you'd be alienating a large potential market particular on weekdays but I'd certainly appreciate the idea of "No Kids Saturday" for example.

Daisyboo, as in the chain or just the style of cooking big meats on a big fire?

the chain its amazing. i have been to one in london, manchester and amsterdam :D

A proper kebab shop. Not one of those places with some tiny piece of disgusting looking brown meat on a revolving thing and where they sell equally vile pizzas. A proper kebab shop with a selection of home-made kebabs, with proper pita bread, no naan rubbish, a selection of salads etc. The kebab should not taste of curry and it should be sliced with a kebab knife not some electric roast slicer. They should not sell pizza, fried chicken or any of that, it should close no later than 11pm. That is all.

I'm sure the gaucho people have that market sewn up then. They'll not come to Sheffield though until they have branches in plop places like Basingstoke first.

I'm sure my brother won't be going down the kebab shop road for fear of being perceived from afar as one of the types you mention. I am no expert kebab man but does Zeugma on London Road not fit the bill?

Thanks for the input. Any more thoughts welcome. I was trying to encourage my brother to go for the Berlin brunch type idea if anyone has been. People just sitting around all day with an eat all you can buffet, drinking lots of tea and coffee and reading papers. It's very relaxed with good food and can be a great way to spend a Sunday.

We went to one of these in Switzerland this summer, it was lovely. Quality breakfast served all day, cooked stuff, sweet stuff, fruit, French toast, fresh-baked bread......

We were lamenting that there wasn't anywhere quite like it here (although this place was a summer-only venue, set in a barn, and I'm not sure the planners or H&S would go for it here!).

A downside is that I can only see somewhere like this working at weekends.

If it only worked at weekends then maybe that could be an option with a different plan for the weekdays.

A proper kebab shop. Not one of those places with some tiny piece of disgusting looking brown meat on a revolving thing and where they sell equally vile pizzas. A proper kebab shop with a selection of home-made kebabs, with proper pita bread, no naan rubbish, a selection of salads etc. The kebab should not taste of curry and it should be sliced with a kebab knife not some electric roast slicer. They should not sell pizza, fried chicken or any of that, it should close no later than 11pm. That is all.

It exists.

http://www.thegreedygreekdeli.co.uk/meal-deals-and-promotions