The Man of Steel

It's privately funded
Proof that industry is insufficiently taxed then!

2.5 million profit for who? I assume the 2.5 million is the cost to build it, not profit! Yes eventually it may start to make some money if there's a visitors centre, which presumably would cost to get in, but nobody's making 2.5 million 'profit' :huh:

Ok sorry I meant 2 million profit because it won't cost 500 grand to build a giant metal man. We should get the chinese to build it, would probably cost about ten grand if we provide the metal.

Any one that thinks it would cost 2.5 million to build a metal man is living in a dream world.

I like the idea,but I would be interested in how the £2.5m is arrived at.

That certainly covers a considerable weight of materials and foundry costs.

I am not criticising,just interested in a breakdown of the figure.

Here here :)

I regret I cannot answer every request for information. I understand everyone's interests in knowing how the costs are arrived at, and how they will be spent. Can I just repeat that the funding strategy for this project will be delivered by contributions from the private sector. We have projected the cost - currently £2.7 million - based on companies and experts, engineers, architects, etc, providing quotes. As an artist I have worked full time on this project for some years without fees. There will be no 'profit' to be divided amongst the team. Most of the private sector contribution will be made on a 'cost only' basis.

Needless to say a project of this scale is hugely expensive to develop and build and profit margins will be tightly controlled. The commitment of both Sheffield Universities, the landowners, and companies across the region have given the project a much needed boost, but there is still much to be done.

One of our aims is to set up a not-for-profit Charitable Trust connected with the project and we will invite representatives from Rotherham Council, Companies, and members of the community to sit on the Trust. The aim will be to handle income from merchandising to offset some of the cost of maintenance, etc. Any remaining funds will be held in an account which will look at making small local community grants for education and the arts.

I will post updates whenever I can. Best regards,

As you seem to be passing yourself off as the sculpture, would you mind telling us the actual size of this collosus? It does look fantastic but the site I read up on the project seems a little sketchy about the actual dimensions of the project. That is other than the mobile versions that will visit schools etc.

To thesculptor

Would you answer the following.

What material is it to be made from?Steel,Stainless Steel,Bronze.

What will it weigh?

Will it be made in S Yorks?

i cant wait! it will look really nice and represent sheffield! :thumbsup:

I'd still much rather see something at the top end of Fargate. How many years since Goodwin Fountain was removed? And STILL nothing to replace it.

The council, a few yards over the road, remain twiddling their thumbs over this matter.

As for the Man Of Steel, sure, I like it. But I can only see that it'll be cheaper to import steel from the Far East, just like the Urinal outside the railway station.

That would be insulting, to say the least, but surprising? No!

I'd still much rather see something at the top end of Fargate. How many years since Goodwin Fountain was removed? And STILL nothing to replace it.

The council, a few yards over the road, remain twiddling their thumbs over this matter.

As for the Man Of Steel, sure, I like it. But I can only see that it'll be cheaper to import steel from the Far East, just like the Urinal outside the railway station.

That would be insulting, to say the least, but surprising? No!

I'm pretty sure this was clarified a couple of months ago, on the other thread (where the steel will come from). It will be sourced from Sheffield!

I think the issue of why not on fargate was also mentioned too.

At lelast it would be relevant.

On the whole I agree with some sort of Icon but lets ask someone like Antony Gormley to produce something really inspiring as this sculpture is rather naive

Apart from that it's made from stainless steel I can't see the link.

I don't seem to be able to find any other works by Steve Mehdi can anyone provide a link?

Why would you want Anthony Gormley to do it? Ok the Angel of the North is iconic, but so what? Do you 'have' to have produced something before that's 'iconic'? If you like the man of steel then it's fine, if not then why would the sculpters credentials need to be analysed? Does there have to be a 'name' attached to it?

As for the why stainless steel? Sheffield is where the process was discovered and used!

Will it be made from Sheffield steel?

According to what the sculptor said yes!

As you seem to be passing yourself off as the sculpture, would you mind telling us the actual size of this collosus? It does look fantastic but the site I read up on the project seems a little sketchy about the actual dimensions of the project. That is other than the mobile versions that will visit schools etc.

According to this website, which is linked on the sculpture's site, it will be 16m tall with a 20m base.