UK women going to USA to choose sex of baby

I don't think it should be allowed where one sex is favoured over another for cultural reasons. You could end up in some countries, Pakistan and China say, where there would be a massive over supply of men. What on earth would happen then?

China's problem is one of low birth rate as well as the population being short of a few women. The dilemma set by the policy of one child specific families has also led to an increase in an ageing population which is also affecting the availability of manpower.

Firstly, I wasn't talking about their body! Secondly, you don't think that an imbalance between the sexes would do any harm? Thirdly, this is nothing to do with the NHS. Sex selection can only be justified as part of the NHS's remit when it is related to sex-linked genetic disease. It is not a health issue otherwise, and never will be! Leave the running of the NHS to people who know what they're talking about and who have enough common sense to define policy.

Leave it to politicians and arrogant medics?Sex -selection is a health issue although there are ethical and philosophical dimension and I daresay the Church will have a view as it seems to question Gods impotence.

A little girl would go very nicely with the beige carpet and Labradoodle.
Sums it up nicely! I'm sure most supporters of designer babies give it that level of thought!

Sums it up nicely! I'm sure most supporters of designer babies give it that level of thought!

It was sarcasm but yes I believe there will be an element of design for life involved.

If you can only afford to have four children, say, and the first three were all the same sex, I could understand the parents watching to be able to choose the sex of the fourth and last child.

Imagine, if you already had three boys/girls, and then got another one. That does happen a lot, in some families only one sex come to term. In that sort of circumstance, why shouldn't people have the right to choose? Or gender specific inherited conditions, as another example.

I don't think it should be allowed where one sex is favoured over another for cultural reasons. You could end up in some countries, Pakistan and China say, where there would be a massive over supply of men. What on earth would happen then?

That seems to suggest that if they were to have a child of the "wrong" undesired sex, they would be dissatisfied, possibly resentful. If that's even a possibility, I'd suggest they shouldn't bother trying for another child, they should love whatever comes out in equal measure to their previous offspring.

That seems to suggest that if they were to have a child of the "wrong" undesired sex, they would be dissatisfied, possibly resentful. If that's even a possibility, I'd suggest they shouldn't bother trying for another child, they should love whatever comes out in equal measure to their previous offspring.
No it doesn't. They might be, of course, but it's doubtful. Babies bring their own love with them, in the old saying! :) It's natural that many women want to have a daughter, and most men want to have a son. But it's often when talking to people who have two children of the same sex, they want one of the other sex, but are loathe to keep trying in case they get another boy or girl, purely down to time and money constraints.

In those cases, who could object to them using whatever methods are available to choose the desired sex? Haven't some 'celebs' used types of natural selection methods?

ETA: just noticed a typo in my op, 'wanting' not 'watching', of course. :)

I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, but I wonder if they have high expectations for their future child.

It seems a shame and a waste if the embryos of the 'incorrect' gender are just discarded, perhaps they could be given to couples who have difficulty conceiving?

I'm not overly informed on the process, but isn't it possible to determine which sperm are X and which are Y and do it that way?

I think in the case of IVF where several embryos are created and it's likely some will be discarded anyway, sex selection probably doesn't matter, it's not the same as having a termination of a single fetus because of it's sex.

I don't know why multiply embryos are created during IVF (maximise chances of success?), and I don't know if this is even possible, but IMO if any selection can be done it should be the fittest and healthiest embryos given the chance of life.

No it doesn't. They might be, of course, but it's doubtful. Babies bring their own love with them, in the old saying! :) It's natural that many women want to have a daughter, and most men want to have a son. But it's often when talking to people who have two children of the same sex, they want one of the other sex, but are loathe to keep trying in case they get another boy or girl, purely down to time and money constraints.

In those cases, who could object to them using whatever methods are available to choose the desired sex? Haven't some 'celebs' used types of natural selection methods?

ETA: just noticed a typo in my op, 'wanting' not 'watching;, of course. :)

As a father of two boys, I know my partner would like a girl, I would to, but we have absolutely no compulsion to have another child to try get a girl for the sake of it, and if we were loathed to get another boy, we certainly wouldn't try for another child.

Going through IVF for no reason other than using it as an enabler for sex selection takes it to another level and would make a mockery of people going through IVF for medical reasons.

Edited by mj.scuba

After reading the article I don't understand why a family would go through a fertility clinic just so they can "balance" their family, why does it really matter so much to have at least one of each sex? Why go to those lengths and expense when other women are not fortunate to have any? Surely if you want a child, the sex of it should not matter. It all sounds quite desperate.

My first pregnancy I lost twins at 32 wks, both was boys. Second pregnancy lost non identical twin at 4 mths pregnant carried other twin to full term and now he will be 22 in a couple of weeks. Had an eptopic pregnancy, after that I had my last son. I have never urged for another child, to have a girl. I am thankful for two wonderful sons but I know if I couldn't carry a certain sex due medical problems I would choose a sex of a child. The feeling of being told you couldn't be a mum is heartbreaking. I would try everything I could to be a mum. 1 at least the child would be wanted. 2 if that didn't work adoption, but if you had the means I wouldn't judge. The doctors said I wouldn't carry boys but I did. Get told you can't have, you want it more and more. Saying all that I just wanted to be a mum to a girl or boy.

I have two boys, the second one I was hoping for a girl but was glad it wasn't great playmate for my first son

Also I cannot think of anything worse than a young version of myself growing more and more beautiful as I become older

(Just kidding everyone):D

I can understand the parents who go in got pre-implantation gender selection IVF, if they are looking to screen out embryos which carry a sex-related condition (such as Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, which is generally a male-only condition).

However, if there isn't an issue like this with the embryo, I think people should be thankful for their healthy child, whatever gender s/he is.