Tank graveyard at Darnall

Wondered why it was called the Army camp.....I played there in the late 60's. My house was on Industry Road but the end of our garden was on Ellen Road which ran along the side of the spare ground. So it was easy for me to get there as I could just jump over the wall at the end of our garden. Played mainly on the playground at one edge of the spare ground on Surrey Road but remember a couple of derelict (newish) houses on the spare ground which we used to creep into....that is until one day we went up the stairs into one of the bedrooms and was startled by a tramp who had 'kipped' down for the previous night. I think that I managed to clear all the stairs in one go and jumped over the playground railings in a way to make any Olympic hurdler proud!

I wonder if I know you, I played on there all the time flying plank, shackums on the swings, film stars in the hut when it rained. I remember a lot of the kids that played there as well, the harding sisters , joe baily, mel cross that lived at the top of your street, can you remember albert caretaker, the ice cream tub at the top of your street ?

I lived on Barley-wood road the army scrap yard was at the end, one day an yound lad came screaming off the scrap tanks he had dropped a tank door on his hand and i'm sure most of his fingers were hanging off, i wrapped a tea towel around his hand and sent him home. i was about 14. before the tanks came there were pig stys on that land.

I lived on Barley-wood road the army scrap yard was at the end, one day an yound lad came screaming off the scrap tanks he had dropped a tank door on his hand and i'm sure most of his fingers were hanging off, i wrapped a tea towel around his hand and sent him home. i was about 14. before the tanks came there were pig stys on that land.

Yea i can't remember the pig stys but i played for hours on the tanks everyone wanted to be monty the desert fox were well outnumbered. You will prob remember the brook then and sliding down the hills on corrugated sheets, ok until you picked one with an hole in it and hit a stone sticking up. my name is terry roe i lived on coleridge rd all good times one could get lost in the woods for a day

Yea i can't remember the pig stys but i played for hours on the tanks everyone wanted to be monty the desert fox were well outnumbered. You will prob remember the brook then and sliding down the hills on corrugated sheets, ok until you picked one with an hole in it and hit a stone sticking up. my name is terry roe i lived on coleridge rd all good times one could get lost in the woods for a day
it was called pig ally .just down back , remember digging hole and buring some parts from vickers,may be still there

Spent many hours playing among the tanks there and the tank grave yard on the Phesant grounds opposite the Carbook Hall pub.We used to find bullets and tank sights.

hi robbiet . we spent days playing on the phesant field in the 60s remember some old one story derelic buildings we stashed all the guns and shells we found in them . [ha more like nicked] from the scrap yard over back and also playing in the big black building on site that still stands today. we used to climb up and walk round top on a gantry with lots of the walkway missing it was scary then but when I go pass these days and see the height of it my heart jumps. we were only 12 or 13 not much fear then. we also used to go in old carbrook church at the front when that was closed down, creepy.

hi robbiet . we spent days playing on the phesant field in the 60s remember some old one story derelic buildings we stashed all the guns and shells we found in them . [ha more like nicked] from the scrap yard over back and also playing in the big black building on site that still stands today. we used to climb up and walk round top on a gantry with lots of the walkway missing it was scary then but when I go pass these days and see the height of it my heart jumps. we were only 12 or 13 not much fear then. we also used to go in old carbrook church at the front when that was closed down, creepy.

That brings back memories of when we used to find bullets,put them between two bricks and hit them with a hammer in an attempt to fire them.They could have shot anywhere "scary"

My Grandad Jim Reynolds used to use the tank ariels to make fishing rods. He lived on Stovin Road and men came from all over to buy his rods, floats and flys

My Grandad Jim Reynolds used to use the tank ariels to make fishing rods. He lived on Stovin Road and men came from all over to buy his rods, floats and flys

Oh that's a good story and I think I remember that name, I lived at the top of the next street (Clipstone rd ) Stovin rd brings back a memory it was there that a family had the first tv in the area and used to charge kids 6 pence to watch Kit Carson a cowboy on childrens hour. You can tell how old I am saying that. the field between Stovin and Clipstone was our football, cricket area with not a blade of grass on it!

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 20:41 ----------

I remember it well ,as I lived on coleridge rd.near coleford rd. we used to play there as well.

I'm Terry Roe and I lived on Coleridge road top of Clipstone and the tanks we played on were about where Shepcott lane is now

Oh that's a good story and I think I remember that name, I lived at the top of the next street (Clipstone rd ) Stovin rd brings back a memory it was there that a family had the first tv in the area and used to charge kids 6 pence to watch Kit Carson a cowboy on childrens hour. You can tell how old I am saying that. the field between Stovin and Clipstone was our football, cricket area with not a blade of grass on it!

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 20:41 ----------

I'm Terry Roe and I lived on Coleridge road top of Clipstone and the tanks we played on were about where Shepcott lane is now

Phillimore Jnr school played football on that field

it was on left handside before tinsley park cemertry

my name is terry roe i lived on coleridge rd and played on the tanks all the time so i must know you, cant remember any man looking after the site

my dad made me one too for the coleridge road fishing trip , i got half ounce that day:(

my dad had a pig sty there down my uncle harry waters also had haulage company at the side of the scrap yard