Tank graveyard at Darnall

Harry waters or harri watters as my mother and dad called him was a friend of the family he once flitted us from the abourthorn to darnall on the back of the lorry i keep hearing about these stys but can't think where they were unless they were at the side of the cemetery try and explain to me where they were

enfield lane was also called pig sty alley and at the bottom was the halfway public house and it went up to high hazels park

There was an army base in Darnall but it was only married quarters for PSI's who were stationed at the local T.A. units. I lived in one when I was stationed at the Signals Regiment on Barnsley Rd in around 1956.

When I was stationed in Gibraltar in 1948 I was on jankers peeling spuds in the cookhouse and a Cockney was sat by me who couldn't read nor write. We talked about what we were going to do when we escaped the army. He said I'm going to buy old war surplus as scrap etc. etc.

Years later I was sat on a train reading a newspaper and there in the business section was a photo of this millionaire, yes you've guessed it.

can any one remember the army dump on greenland road darnell ?. it was our play ground when we were kids living on the (cliff) around 1955_57. it was a vast area full of tanks and armoured vehecles from world war 2. i found a bren gun up there and took it home, my grandad took it off me , gave me a slap . he took me down to the police station with the gun and handed it in. fun days.....!!!

I remember the tank grave yard it was on the old tinsley park colliery site which eventually became tinsley park steelworks

When we were kids we used to play on what we called 'the tanks' in Tinsley Park Woods. It was a place where decommissioned army vehicles were stored and was an amazing, if unsafe, playground. Would be interesting to know if anyone else remembers?

Sorry, I didn't realise that there was already a thread already on this subject

Hi, remember it well, use to have old wooden arms boxes lying around. I was just a young lass but played all over the Tinsley Park area. Lived on Ranskill Rd. 

I remember this place, if it was the one on Greenland Road, we used to walk down Prince of Wales road or down Strawberry Lane to have a good play around in the troop carriers and other stuff ready for scrapping, I did find a couple of little sausage shaped bags in one of the carriers one day, it had a draw string and it contained some kind of crystals. I was around nine or ten years old, happy days.

Edited by lazarus