Are there any hunters on sf

i can't afford to go game hunting at around £500 or more a day, and i agree that some fat business man paying thousands to try and use a shotgun, not easy, to clean kill a game bird is not accetable.

But your view is irrelevant, because millions of people eat meat and poultry, so your opinion will make no difefrence. Eating meat is good for human beings.

I'm not clear on your view. Is it unacceptable if someone is rich and goes game bird hunting? Is it ok if you go game bird hunting? (I'm assuming from your post you are not rich. Or fat.) Do you have a view on the caged import of these birds who are imported to this country to be shot as sport?

Or perhaps to state it as it is..?

As I said further up the thread to someone else, I don't ask people to understand my reasons. I would like them however to understand what actually happens when people do go hunting, and how great efforts are taken to minimise the risk to other people, to minimise the suffering of the quarry and to make maximum use of the carcass.

Actually, when I first stopped eating dead stuff, I used to think that animals caught in the wild was probably the only way we could justifiably carry on eating animals (now that there's been a vegan world iron man winner, I think we can put all that "health" argument to bed). However, I then learnt a bit about how the animals that are killed as game quarry get to be there, and found it a bit perplexing. They aren't vermin, they aren't in need of population management, and in many cases they were imported in unpleasant conditions for people to shoot. It really doesn't add up for me any more

Actually, when I first stopped eating dead stuff, I used to think that animals caught in the wild was probably the only way we could justifiably carry on eating animals (now that there's been a vegan world iron man winner, I think we can put all that "health" argument to bed). However, I then learnt a bit about how the animals that are killed as game quarry get to be there, and found it a bit perplexing. They aren't vermin, they aren't in need of population management, and in many cases they were imported in unpleasant conditions for people to shoot. It really doesn't add up for me any more

I've never shot gamebirds, mainly because they are difficult to kill cleanly and because their management and raising is not the best of things as you say. In the case of deer though they do overpopulate and always will do so, as their primary predator, wolves have been extinct in Scotland for a few hundred years now.

I took two stags today, both from about 100 yards. Clean shot through the heart[1], both took perhaps three paces and fell. I fail to see how you can make it any more humane than that - you don't have the animal being taken from field to market, then to abbatoir, getting stressed in a lorry, then corralled, then crushed in the constriction cage and then finally shot with a bolt gun.

Blood lust? Not really. Most of the fun is being able to sneak as close as you can without spooking the stag. It's just as much fun as sneaking up on a stag/badger/polecat/otter with a camera, except this time the stag is destined for my dinner plate rather than a photo album.

As for butchering I gralloch my own kills in the field - it's the least that any stalker should be prepared to do and there is a lot of disdain for those that shoot, but refuse to get involved with the messier side of things.

[1] You don't shoot deer in the head unless you are very close as the target area for the brain is very small.

Robert De Nero! on Sheffield Forum whatever next.

I wouldn't shoot deer. It's too easy. They just stand there. Now a charging rhino? That's a challenge :D

I wouldn't shoot deer. It's too easy. They just stand there. Now a charging rhino? That's a challenge :D
Well, yes...but the price tag for that fancy is currently (as of last year, and so I'm told) high 5-digits.

(I'm quick to add, not that I ever would pay top bucks to go shoot reserve game in Africa - but a very good family friend has been doing that for many years and, though I don't particularly condone it, his zebra rug and bespoke-made 'antlers' dining chairs are something to behold).

If you want an 'accessible' and potentially just-as-dangerous challenge, try wild boar. I don't ever go out after them without at least a couple of 'last-chance' Brennekes in the belt. Just in case.

Judging by your other recent posts you've got some serious blood lust! You know what they say about people that like to harm animals..!

People of questionable morality tend to start off abusing / killing animals, then work their crazed twisted way up to doing sadistic things to children and adults. Not all of course, but it's a common trait in mass murderers.

Does that include people who like to hunt for cod off the Whitby coast?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1032913

Edited by Helios

Well, yes...but the price tag for that fancy is currently (as of last year, and so I'm told) high 5-digits.

(I'm quick to add, not that I ever would pay top bucks to go shoot reserve game in Africa - but a very good family friend has been doing that for many years and, though I don't particularly condone it, his zebra rug and bespoke-made 'antlers' dining chairs are something to behold).

If you want an 'accessible' and potentially just-as-dangerous challenge, try wild boar. I don't ever go out after them without at least a couple of 'last-chance' Brennekes in the belt. Just in case.

What about the people who shoot birds of prey inc royalty.

What about the people who shoot birds of prey inc royalty.
After your third post about this without any reply (well, from me), would it surprise you greatly to find out that, all things considered, I don't particularly care?

And that I care even less about whether such 'hunters' are blue-blooded or not?

It's an industry. No different in the least from very many (really really many) African reserves taking in vast sums of money to let 'hunters' shoot (managed-) exotic quadrupeds day-in day-out, year-in year-out. Or, for that matter, not that far removed from pheasant/grouse/etc. 'shoots' for the (by comparison-) more cost-conscious.

So long as it's not poaching or endangered species...what's the big deal?

Edited by L00b

Fish dont have feelings.

Who were you before you got banned? :suspect:

My goldfish, Bob was very hurt when I read him this post.:mad:

Fish dont have feelings.

Who were you before you got banned? :suspect:

A. You know this, how?

B. interesting remark from someone new this year, that type of remark posted on fora is usually posted by a long time member.