Joseph peck department stores.

Funny you should mention the link to 'Are you being served', When I left school in 1974 my first job was as sales assistant on the radio & TV dept at Walsh's in Sheffield, that was also very similar!. If you want to PM me your address I will copy the booklet ( it is only a hand typed affair) and send you one when I find it. Mike.

---------- Post added 03-11-2013 at 20:09 ----------

Just noticed your location, I am in Hornsea regularly with my job. Funny how the memory works, my Dad always wore Anthony shirts!.

That would be great. My email address is brywowl@yahoo.co.uk I originate from Rawmarsh but have not lived there since I was nineteen. Since then I have moved up and down the country but settled in Hornsea five years ago. I am not sure what PM means. Is it safe to post my address on here? If you could email me I will send my address. Bryan

---------- Post added 04-11-2013 at 14:01 ----------

I have just worked out what PM means. Unfortunately the system will not let me send you my details until I have five posted things. If you email me I will send my details back. Bryan

Edited by woodwab4

My grandad was William Peck (Joseph's son) and I have always heard stories from my late mother about these shops and was great to see details of them

---------- Post added 27-01-2018 at 21:01 ----------

Ah and my great uncle is Anthony Peck !

My grandad was William Peck (Joseph's son) and I have always heard stories from my late mother about these shops and was great to see details of them

Where was the Sheffield shop ?

Where was the Sheffield shop ?

If my memory serves me correctly it was the corner of Charles St and Union St.

---------- Post added 29-01-2018 at 20:33 ----------

Hi, Nice to hear from you. I do have a few mementos of my late Dads time at the stores, I'll have to dig them out of storage sometime!. I have tried to find photos of the shops, especially the Worksop branch as my Dad was the manager there and occasionally used to take me with him as a child on Saturdays. We lived in Sheffield and Worksop was a good run out in those days in the old Austin Cambridge!, i tried the photo library in Worksop museum but no success.

Hi there.

My father recently passed away, he worked at Pecks for a good number of years as handyman covering all four stores, this we knew. On coming across his army enlistment papers (1944) he was listed as a salesman which we did not know. As we are in lock down and family will not be allowed at the funeral, I (his Son) are compiling a "celebration of life" folder with lots of photos etc for the family to view at a later date. What i don't know is when Pecks closed down/ what year my father left which would help me compile the story. If anyone knows the date/year it would be most helpful. 

HOWEVER, what i do have is lots of photos that he took of the shop in Rotherham were my father, Leonard Owen worked. They include shots both inside and out showing all the shelves etc that he built. ALSO he appears to have been the official photographer as he did all the fashion shows and management/workers group photos and will be only too pleased to share if they gave fond memories as they do to us.

On 09/05/2020 at 17:53, dadsdays said:

Hi there.

My father recently passed away, he worked at Pecks for a good number of years as handyman covering all four stores, this we knew. On coming across his army enlistment papers (1944) he was listed as a salesman which we did not know. As we are in lock down and family will not be allowed at the funeral, I (his Son) are compiling a "celebration of life" folder with lots of photos etc for the family to view at a later date. What i don't know is when Pecks closed down/ what year my father left which would help me compile the story. If anyone knows the date/year it would be most helpful. 

HOWEVER, what i do have is lots of photos that he took of the shop in Rotherham were my father, Leonard Owen worked. They include shots both inside and out showing all the shelves etc that he built. ALSO he appears to have been the official photographer as he did all the fashion shows and management/workers group photos and will be only too pleased to share if they gave fond memories as they do to us.

Hi, I started this thread some time ago so it's good to hear from you , unfortunately in the sad circumstances you mention. I believe Pecks closed in the mid 70s, certainly the Sheffield branch did, it being taken over by 'Shopacheck' who my father carried on working with for a number of years. I would love to see the photos you mention, there seems to be little history of Pecks, despite them being in business for many years.  If you read back through the thread you will see the role my father had with the company. I did notice the head office building is still standing in Rotherham, still showing the Pecks name, although in a sorry state now.  Regards, Mike.

As I only joined this forum to notify your of the photos etc I can not PM you as three postings are required. However you could PM me in which case I could give you contact details. Found more photos the other day of a Pecks trip to London in October of 1959. Wait to here from you.

regards

Brent

Hi kc here worked at Joseph peck at Doncaster rd Barnsley in early 70s I remember the simcas well l had a met blue one in those days I was classed as a traveler collecting money and selling goods ie three piece suites and bedding my manager was a guy called bill Roberts from Wakefield happy days k 

Hi KC. How long did your Simca last before being recycled into baked bean cans? Seem to remember the rust began to show through on dads within months!

On 07/06/2020 at 15:20, K C said:

Hi kc here worked at Joseph peck at Doncaster rd Barnsley in early 70s I remember the simcas well l had a met blue one in those days I was classed as a traveler collecting money and selling goods ie three piece suites and bedding my manager was a guy called bill Roberts from Wakefield happy days k 

Just joined after seeing this old thread. My dad (David Morley) worked at the Barnsley store in the late 60s early 70s as a traveller/ Talley man. And we had a Simca too. Awful car, hydraulic clutch that failed constantly.

Many happy memories of going to the shop to meet him on a Saturday afternoon after he'd finished work. 

I worked as a van delivery boy 1952 to march 1956. Albion vans I remember 3 drivers Tom Delaney, John Greaves,Alan Bennett+2 others. Main shop was Rotherham the offices were there too. Stores were Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley and Worksop which was named A C Middleton. John Peck lived outside Worksop his brother William lived in Wickersley. The managers cars were Jowett Javelin and unreliable. William Peck had an Austin sheerline for main car and A70 countryman, John had a Lagonda again always breaking down he used an A70 countryman to go on European holidays when cars were hoisted onto the ferry.

I pass the driveway leading to John Pecks old house at Darfoulds once a month, always gives me a little tingle as I remember Dad taking me there around 60 years ago, never forgotten that driveway!