Joseph peck department stores.

Does anyone remember the group of Joseph Peck departments stores? They originated in Rotherham in the late 1800s and had branches in Worksop, Barnsley and Sheffield. My late father was area manager in the 60s and I would love to hear from anyone who worked there.

Does anyone remember the group of Joseph Peck departments stores? They originated in Rotherham in the late 1800s and had branches in Worksop, Barnsley and Sheffield. My late father was area manager in the 60s and I would love to hear from anyone who worked there.

I worked at Joseph Peck, Fitzwilliam Rd, Rotherham in the TV engineers workshop. Who was your father and where was he based?

We sold Pecks a fleet of Simca cars and vans when i was at Waldot Service Stn in the sixties.

Joseph Peck was in Bridgegate in Rotherham, and in the late 40's at Christmas, they had a grotto and a Father Christmas. The queues of parents and children would go down the yard and up Bridgegate. My mum and dad always took my brother and I to see Father Christmas and get a present from him. The store was a department store selling just about everything that was available just after the war. Mum took my brother and I coming up to one Christmas, she was trying to find a bicycle for my brother and I, but they didn't have one. As we came out of the store, one of old fashioned three wheel railway delivery lorries was just pulling out of the yard. On the back was a blue bike. Mum stopped the driver and asked him where he was taking it. He told her 'Redgates at the bottom of Ecclesall Road in Sheffield. She shouted 'Taxi', and told the driver to 'follow that lorry'. Just before the lorry arrived on The Moor, she told the taxi driver to overtake the lorry and go to Redgates. We rushed in, she found the manager and asked him about the bike. He hadn't known that one was being delivered so Mum told him she'd have it without even asking the price. The lorry driver didn't even have to take it off the lorry, and delivered it to our house next day.

My elder brother had it first, then me, then my younger brother, and finally our young sister. It was still being used when I flew the nest in 1959.

Merry Christmas everybody.

I worked at Joseph Peck, Fitzwilliam Rd, Rotherham in the TV engineers workshop. Who was your father and where was he based?

My dads name was Charlie Spencer, I remember him travelling between the Rotherham, Sheffield and Worksop stores. I believe he was acting store manager but was later based solely at the Sheffield branch.

---------- Post added 27-10-2013 at 21:10 ----------

We sold Pecks a fleet of Simca cars and vans when i was at Waldot Service Stn in the sixties.

I remember my Dads Simca well, he had a gold coloured 1501 (S?). It rusted away within about three years!.

My dads name was Charlie Spencer, I remember him travelling between the Rotherham, Sheffield and Worksop stores. I believe he was acting store manager but was later based solely at the Sheffield branch.

I remember my Dads Simca well, he had a gold coloured 1501 (S?). It rusted away within about three years!.

The Simcas were a complete load of rubbish and not very good to work on either.

didn't they sell pianos in the Sheffield store

That would have been Wilson Pecks, a different shop.

Sorry, I don't recall your dads name. I was an apprentice TV engineer at the HQ on Fitzwilliam Rd. I made regular trips to the Sheffield branch and worked in the Rotherham branch on Saturdays to boost the income. I started in 1967 and left in 1970 to go and work for Telefusion. The comedy "Are you being served" always reminds me of the J Pecks shops.

Sorry, I don't recall your dads name. I was an apprentice TV engineer at the HQ on Fitzwilliam Rd. I made regular trips to the Sheffield branch and worked in the Rotherham branch on Saturdays to boost the income. I started in 1967 and left in 1970 to go and work for Telefusion. The comedy "Are you being served" always reminds me of the J Pecks shops.

I remember as a boy going to the owners house which was up a long tree lined drive as you approach Worksop on the A57. Another director I remember was Mr Mcquiston (?) he lived at Dore and I used to garden for him. I'm sure I have some old photos somewhere, I 'll try to locate them, I certainly have a booklet celebrating the centenary of Joseph Pecks and a silver dish presented to my Dad both from the mid sixties.

I remember as a boy going to the owners house which was up a long tree lined drive as you approach Worksop on the A57. Another director I remember was Mr Mcquiston (?) he lived at Dore and I used to garden for him. I'm sure I have some old photos somewhere, I 'll try to locate them, I certainly have a booklet celebrating the centenary of Joseph Pecks and a silver dish presented to my Dad both from the mid sixties.

The pictures would be interesting to see. I wasn't aware of a centenary book, I would love to get hold of a copy.

I too went to the house you mention. I recall going there with my manager, George Shaw. We delivered Mr Peck a colour tv. It was a monster of a thing and needed two people to carry it. The Peck directors were all known by their first names, Mr John is the one who lived at Worksop if I remember correctly. There was also Mr Anthony. The Peck brand shirts were named after Mr Anthony. Great to meet up with someone who knows the company. Bryan

The pictures would be interesting to see. I wasn't aware of a centenary book, I would love to get hold of a copy.

I too went to the house you mention. I recall going there with my manager, George Shaw. We delivered Mr Peck a colour tv. It was a monster of a thing and needed two people to carry it. The Peck directors were all known by their first names, Mr John is the one who lived at Worksop if I remember correctly. There was also Mr Anthony. The Peck brand shirts were named after Mr Anthony. Great to meet up with someone who knows the company. Bryan

Funny you should mention the link to 'Are you being served', When I left school in 1974 my first job was as sales assistant on the radio & TV dept at Walsh's in Sheffield, that was also very similar!. If you want to PM me your address I will copy the booklet ( it is only a hand typed affair) and send you one when I find it. Mike.

---------- Post added 03-11-2013 at 20:09 ----------

Funny you should mention the link to 'Are you being served', When I left school in 1974 my first job was as sales assistant on the radio & TV dept at Walsh's in Sheffield, that was also very similar!. If you want to PM me your address I will copy the booklet ( it is only a hand typed affair) and send you one when I find it. Mike.

Just noticed your location, I am in Hornsea regularly with my job. Funny how the memory works, my Dad always wore Anthony shirts!.