Speeding Ticket

I've just been issued with a speeding ticket for doing 34. My first ever ticket, so maybe it depends on the mood of the issuing officer (unfortunately the Royal Fail delivered my conditional offer to the wrong address so by the time I got it it was too late & now have a court summons & face extra costs) if only the legal system chased all law breakers with as much effort as those caught speeding.

For clarity was that a speeding fine after being caught on a camera? The OP said they were stopped by a police car and I have never heard of a ticket being issued by post following a stop. ( I'm not saying they don't I've just never heard of it happening )

If you were not issued a ticket at the time, you are in the clear......however I have heard on the grapevine that police are no longer issuing tickets at the time of the offence, but reporting on summons. This is to save money. Apparently the police can earn more doing it this way. Did they caution you at the time and "interview" you ? :confused:

If you were not issued a ticket at the time, you are in the clear......however I have heard on the grapevine that police are no longer issuing tickets at the time of the offence, but reporting on summons. This is to save money. Apparently the police can earn more doing it this way. Did they caution you at the time and "interview" you ? :confused:

The police dont earn money from speeding tickets

Edited by Aleksandr
Said already!

So it is a myth you can go +10%+2 without the fear of prosecution ?

Yes.

However it isn't a myth that you are unlikely to be prosecuted whilst driving within 10%+2. It could happen, but it's unlikely.

If you are stopped by the police they can give you a ticket. With regards to my previous post, police have been instructed not to give any more tickets out at the time of the offence as it costs them to process. So they report you on summons and the central ticket office sort it out.... all to do with budget cuts I believe.

Back to the op, I think they should be jailed for 10 years and pay a fine of £50 grand. Such a heinous crime as driving over the speed limit by 4 mph, must be punished very severely.:hihi:

Angel:help::loopy:

Some Police Forces are not issuing fixed penalty tickets but reporting people for speeding, in most cases you still received something from the officer. What happens next is decided by the Central Ticket Office, allegedly its to give a more consistent approach so everyone is dealt with fairly. (and officers at the roadside are unable to know if someone has previously had a speed awareness course, and so prevents it being not offered or offered twice)

Some would say its an attack on a Police Officers discretion on how to dealt with the matter. This is being brought in for a lot of traffic offences not just speeding.

Some Police Forces are not issuing fixed penalty tickets but reporting people for speeding, in most cases you still received something from the officer. What happens next is decided by the Central Ticket Office, allegedly its to give a more consistent approach so everyone is dealt with fairly. (and officers at the roadside are unable to know if someone has previously had a speed awareness course, and so prevents it being not offered or offered twice)

Some would say its an attack on a Police Officers discretion on how to dealt with the matter. This is being brought in for a lot of traffic offences not just speeding.

I'd be interested to know which forces are not issuing FP tickets but are reporting (and making work for themselves - doesn't "reporting" the driver for the offence end up with a court appearance?) - where did you hear or read that?

As for the offer of a course, well that has always come from the central office, not from a roadside PC, surely.

What's the source for your info'?

I thought the move was to issue even more FP tickets not fewer:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2159522/Drivers-face-90-spot-fine-points-wrong-lane-tailgating.html

Edited by DT Ralge

You are right that an offer of a course has to come from the Central Ticket office. Lincolnshire Police are doing this now and I'm sure other forces will follow it they are not doing it already, the officer fills out a report form at the roadside and reports the driver for the offence and then how the matter is dealt with is decided by Central Ticket Office.

Reporting the driver does not necessarily mean a court appearance usually the matter is dealt with by the offer of a course or a conditional offer of taking the points and the £60 fine.

Don't wish to reveal how I know the information but it is correct

You are right that an offer of a course has to come from the Central Ticket office. Lincolnshire Police are doing this now and I'm sure other forces will follow it they are not doing it already, the officer fills out a report form at the roadside and reports the driver for the offence and then how the matter is dealt with is decided by Central Ticket Office.

Reporting the driver does not necessarily mean a court appearance usually the matter is dealt with by the offer of a course or a conditional offer of taking the points and the £60 fine.

Don't wish to reveal how I know the information but it is correct

Ok, so that would put more drivers on a course (if they aren't just handing out a ticket-to-pay roadside) and less revenue for the Treasury - ie more towards Education rather than Enforcement/punishment.

Ok, so that would put more drivers on a course (if they aren't just handing out a ticket-to-pay roadside) and less revenue for the Treasury - ie more towards Education rather than Enforcement/punishment.

Drivers who are just over the limit are the ones speciffically being targetted as the AA who is now profiting from the so called crime do not profit from serious offenders,just the creepers who qualify for courses.Thats why there is no interest from the camera vans in people well over the limit which to me stinks.

I thought it was about road safety but its far from it.Like all private companies,they will be looking to increase profits so expect this situation to get alot worse although the roads are getting more dangerous and will continue to but who cares so long as profits are up.

Only an idiot would think you can judge safe driving by where the speedo points!