SELLARS Family from Frecheville area of Sheffield

Hi there

I am trying to trace my grandmothers sister's family.

My grandmother was Glenfinella (Ella) Dewey nee Hinchliffe and she had sisters Gwen and Winifred. I know what happened to Gwen but I am still looking for information on Winifred.

Winifred Prudence Hinchliffe was born appx 1895 to Tom and Elizabeth Hinchliffe nee Best. She married a gentleman by the name of Walter Sellars in 1920, had a son also named Walter in 1921 and by 1939 when Walter Senior passed away they were living in the Frecheville area of Sheffield.

Winifred sadly passed away in 1983 I believe and although she had sisters in Sheffield, one of which had a daughter, my mother, who is still living we know nothing about Winifred and Walters family and what happened to them and would love to find out and possibly make contact with them.

DO you know Walter and Winifred Sellars, or their son Walter who could have married a Kathleen Walsh. If you have any information re this family or you are indeed connected to them then I would love to hear from you. There is no personal gain from this other than to find out about my families history.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help given.

My error and apologies -

Walter Sellars Junior married Eileen Walsh not Kathleen Walsh

Sorry!

Hi maidofhonour - I can just give a few details from public records. Winifred Prudence Sellars, born 11 March 1897, died in Sheffield in Jul-Sep 1983. The Hinchliffe family is shown in the 1901 and 1911 Sheffield census returns at 19 Newcastle Street (1901) and 14 Wheeldon Street (1911), the three children in 1911 being Winifred P., 14, Gwendoline, 10 and Glenfenella, 7. PM me an email address if you'd like JPEG scans of the census pages.

The indexes confirm that Winifred married Walter Sellars in Oct-Dec 1920 and they had a son Walter, born Apr-Jun 1921. The marriages index shows that a Walter Sellars married an Eileen Walsh in Sheffield in Jul-Sep 1959. Could this be the right Walter? The births index doesn't show any likely Sellars children with the mother's maiden name Walsh. A Walter Sellars, born 11 April 1921, died in the Beverley district in September 2001

Hi Hillsbro

Thanks for the info from the records. Its good when someone else finds the same info as it cements what you've found to be true!

What I would love to find now is connections to Walter Junior and Eileens children if they had any?

Thanks again for your help

...What I would love to find now is connections to Walter Junior and Eileens children if they had any?
That's the problem - the births index doesn't include any likely children. Walter Jnr. could well have been the Walter Sellars who died in the Beverley district in 2001, but I was unable to find either a death entry for an Eileen Sellars or, in recent electoral rolls, an Eileen Sellars in the right part of the country. The only Eileen Sellars I found in the Sheffield or Beverley areas was one in the 2003 electoral roll in S26, but she shares the address with a Peter Sellars and so (as no likely birth entry for a Peter Sellars can be found) this isn't much help. Anyway good luck!

I went to school with a david sellars, he lived in frecheville.

Hello,

Eileen Sellars was my Latin teacher at Sheffield High School in the 1970s. She was a brilliant teacher, though we were all slightly terrified by her.

She also played the piano for school assemblies, with great enthusiasm.

She read Latin and French at Sheffield Univerisity.

I'm sure it's the same person as I remember her husband was called Walter.

Maybe the school or the university have more information.

Best wishes,

Froggie

I remember Mrs Sellars at Sheffield High (I was there 1962 -69)Her husband ,Walter ,taught at Gleadless Valley School around that time, though I can't remember what his subject was. I know this because my mother was the secretary at Gleadless Valley for some years & would often come home with tales of Walter's doings - I think he was mildly eccentric!

Hi there Froggie and jstarr

Sound like you might be onto something for me here and so I am going to contact Sheffield High School after half term. Do you know if they had children at all? The reason I ask is that I read with interest too what molly-61 put about going to school with a David Sellars in Frecheville. Its just that my mom has mentioned there being someone called David in the family but I don't know if its the same branch ... thanks everyone!

Glad this was helpful.

If you google "Sheffield University" and "Eileen Sellars", there's a photo of Mrs Sellars in her young days on the last page of the document which comes up (a university magazine), as apparently she left money in her will to the university.

Froggie

Thanks for that Froggie, I am so hoping that this is the right family!

Hi

Just a quick update since my last posting ... I have been in touch with Sheffield High and been put in touch with a very helpful lady who has helped me to complete some of the blanks!

I now have the marriage certificate for Walter Sellars and Eileen Walsh and it does appear that Walters father was also Walter Sellars so it does look as though I am on the right track.

Thanks to the links given above I have been able to find out quite a lot of information in regards to Eileen but I am having difficulty finding info on Walter Junior who if the postings above are correct I am led to believe taught at Gleadless Valley School in Sheffield. I have also been told that he worked within the education services after leaving teaching before his retirement. I have also been told that they retired to somewhere near Bridlington so am hoping to follow up the new clues I have. I just wish I could get to the bottom of the David Sellars saga!

From the marriage certificate I have it looks like Walter Sellars junior lived on Hopefield Avenue in Frecheville, does anyone have any more clues????

Thanks again for everyones help so far