Anyone moved to Rotherham and miss Sheffield?

We are in Kimberworth

I have lived in Rotherham since the late 80s always found the folk around here friendly used to work around the Kimberworth area sometimes they are mostly friendly except for the odd few nests of Chavs here and there who are loud,cause trouble and find it impossible to conduct themselves in a civil manner but other than that I have always been happy here.

We are in Kimberworth

Where abouts??

I'm just off Hill View and I know what you mean about people not talking much.. Some days I'm lucky to get a 'hello' from my neighbours..

Where I lived in Sheffield, all the neighbours knew everyone and would spend many an hour or so nattering with a cuppa in each others houses - here is a different story..

I'm used to it now and keep myself to myself, as they do..

Edit to add.. My kettle is never off if you fancy a brew any time.. :)

Edited by sarah1

Where abouts??

I'm just off Hill View and I know what you mean about people not talking much.. Some days I'm lucky to get a 'hello' from my neighbours..

Where I lived in Sheffield, all the neighbours knew everyone and would spend many an hour or so nattering with a cuppa in each others houses - here is a different story..

I'm used to it now and keep myself to myself, as they do..

Edit to add.. My kettle is never off if you fancy a brew any time.. :)

Awww, Thanks Sarah, that's so nice of you. :-) It's very interesting what you say. It was the same where we used to live in Wadsley Bridge in Sheffield. Everyone knew us by our names and always were kind.

We do what you do now and keep ourselves to ourselves too. It's safer haha. We live near Psalters lane. Happen to have a neighbour from hell! hahah

I must say though that there was someone who was very kind also to us here who fixed our cooker and he even gave us a card to say welcome to our new home. So I apologise to him and his family as he was very nice. :-)

Was your move prompted by something i.e. work. Sometimes if it isn't a choice to move then its difficult to settle. If it was a personal choice what positives existed then?

Well it was a half choice really. We had a damp flat before and there was nothing that could have been done about it as everything was tried with it including air vents etc. We got fed up of all our stuff being ruined by it and Rotherham offered us a house. It seemed so great but I am afraid all that glitters is not gold.

Guest busdriver1

I moved to Rotherham a year ago and have one major regret. I should have done it years ago. The people are more friendly, allways chatting to each other. I have to visit Sheffield on occasions and cant wait to get home.

Glad that you have had that experience Busdriver1. I am beginning to think that maybe the few streets where we live must be the worst bit of Rotherham. I do like to think the best of situations and maybe when we have to give things more time.

We are in Kimberworth

I was brought up in kimberworth (not kimberworth park) and its lovely, lovely pub crawl.....green dragon, colin, travellers, manor barn etc........ Very friendly place. Shocked your not finding that. BUT every street in every city/town/village in the world will have various kinds of people. Maybe you fell unlucky.

Guest busdriver1
Glad that you have had that experience Busdriver1. I am beginning to think that maybe the few streets where we live must be the worst bit of Rotherham. I do like to think the best of situations and maybe when we have to give things more time.

Give em time, I can understand why they might be a bit cold if they think you are from Sheffield. most folks here are. Try explaining you are from elsewhere, I bet you get a different response. It worked for me.

Give em time, I can understand why they might be a bit cold if they think you are from Sheffield. most folks here are. Try explaining you are from elsewhere, I bet you get a different response. It worked for me.

That says it all....tell'em lies and they'll like you?????

One Yorkshire city disliking the next?

WTF?

Glad I'm out of it.