Anyone moved to Rotherham and miss Sheffield?

We have moved to Rotherham and are struggling to find positives since being here. The people seem so different to Sheffield people. Where we used to live in Sheffield most people were really kind and friendly and would go out of their way to be helpful but now the street we live on in Rotherham noone speaks to us even when we speak to them. We are quiet living people and create no problems for our neighbours but now feel we regret moving. It's not like we have moved so far from Sheffield but why are Rotherham people so different?

We have moved to Rotherham and are struggling to find positives since being here. The people seem so different to Sheffield people. Where we used to live in Sheffield most people were really kind and friendly and would go out of their way to be helpful but now the street we live on in Rotherham noone speaks to us even when we speak to them. We are quiet living people and create no problems for our neighbours but now feel we regret moving. It's not like we have moved so far from Sheffield but why are Rotherham people so different?

Maybe they think you are posh, with yur big City ideas about being nice to one another.

Maybe they think you are posh, with yur big City ideas about being nice to one another.

Indeed. Socks AND shoes, very la dee dah !!!

Small town - you-not-be-from-round-here-mindset. I don't think it's everywhere. You could move two streets over and neighbours could be fine. Some people are just miserable.

I was born and bred in Rotherham and have since lived in many places. Rotherham is the friendliest place on God's earth.

Are you sure you're not in Tinsley, Swallownest or another halfway house that doesn't know what it is?

Which area is it? and I'll tell you what the problem is.

Well I have lived in many places, many many places, even Birmingham and I am from leicestershire ( a small Quiet town) but it never ceases to amaze me how unfriendly some people are.

Indeed. Socks AND shoes, very la dee dah !!!

Small town - you-not-be-from-round-here-mindset. I don't think it's everywhere. You could move two streets over and neighbours could be fine. Some people are just miserable.

What does socks and shoes mean by the way? a hidden code perhaps? Anyway when all these trolls stop ruining my thread. Maybe we can have a good discussion

We are in Kimberworth

What does socks and shoes mean by the way? a hidden code perhaps? Anyway when all these trolls stop ruining my thread. Maybe we can have a good discussion

You are rather touchy, maybe the locals have latched on to this.

Like u I moved from Sheffield to Rotherham just over 5 years ago I don't

Have meany friends here but love it in Rotherham. I find people friendly

Move over on bus's when i get on with buggie people say morning and smile when you walk passed and say thanx when u move out the way for them to get passed you

Sorry the top line was a joke I heard on the comedy store once, the premis being that the comedian goes back home after spending time in the big city finds his small town a bit backward thinking ie he amazed them by wearing socks and shoes rather than just one or the other. He did it in a funny voice as well. Paul someone, can't remember his name but he's done that joke a few times on telly. Did he present the big breakfast on channel 4 briefly ? I'll try and look it up.

The second bit offered a valid reason why they aren't talking to you. You might park your car in "their" spot, they might have there own problems. It might be something you've done inadvertently. They might just plain not like your face. You might be lucky to find a definitive answer of why people differ from town to the next. People have been writing about it for years.

EDIT Paul tonkinson, that's him. Saw him at jongleurs once as well. Very funny. You could probably find it YouTube.

Edited by tinfoilhat

Thanks gwmp. I have to say that people in Rotherham town centre have been fine with us and like you say they say please and thank you etc. But we have had a different experience of the local buses.