Your best song NEVER to reach no 1

Don't need to think much a bout this as I'm listening to it at moment, Vienna by Ultravox. Such a tragedy that the British public go out and buy, crap like Joe Dolce's, Shaddup Your Face; that kept if off the top.

Now that is an absolute travesty, why do we buy such songs, I mean such as Mr Blobby, just going to boil my head:loopy::loopy:

A number one was an achievement at one point when you usually had to shift three quarters of a million units. It no longer is; you can get a number one on sales under 100,000 units.

The obvious candidate is the one connected to your post, Ultravox's Vienna. There's also Wham!'s Last Christmas which, despite sales touching two million only reached number 2. It was kept off the top by Band Aid.

There are numerous number twos which were, in my opinion superior to the song which occupied the top spot at the time.

The Pogues' Fairytale Of New York was prevented from reaching number one by Pet Shop Boys' insipid rendition of Always On My Mind!

Edited by Ousetunes

Oh yes there are plenty of great no 2 records, as you say you used to have to sell records to get to no1, not for it to be a ringtone or as such.

With the Olympics closing ceremony not too long ago (combined with the fact that myself and a group of mates play the song as part of our "living room" set) I believe I'm right in saying that The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset was a quality song and a pretty famous number 2 single.

With the Olympics closing ceremony not too long ago (combined with the fact that myself and a group of mates play the song as part of our "living room" set) I believe I'm right in saying that The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset was a quality song and a pretty famous number 2 single.

Kept off the top by Silence Is Golden by The Tremeloes (admittedly a good song)!

The Beatles' Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever was criminally denied the number one spot due to.... Release Me by old Englebert!

Oliver's Army. Number 2 for a few weeks in 1979. Looked it up: kept off the top spot by the Bee Gees and Gloria Gaynor. Bloody disco.

ETA: and Caravan of Love by The Housemartins. Christmas number 2 in 1986.

The Pogues' Fairytale Of New York was prevented from reaching number one by Pet Shop Boys' insipid rendition of Always On My Mind!

Really annoying, that one.

My best one was covered in post five but, given that Englebert is a bit of a dude, surely Buck's Fizz keeping Golden Brown from number one is a bigger criminal act.

'One Moment in Time'

A number one hit!!

A number one hit!!

Well I'll have 'The Flood' by Take That which I've

just read was kept off the top spot by Rihanna

Well I'll have 'The Flood' by Take That which I've

just read was kept off the top spot by Rihanna

That's cos it's crap.

Happy Now is the only decent song I can think they've done recently