Commute to university of hull - Please Advise

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help and give me some advice?

I am a student living in Sheffield.. I am going to start the master program in University of Hull.. I am going to need to commute from Sheffield to (I might need to use Sheffield Tram + Train + Hull Buses) at peak times and am wondering what the cheapest way of doing this ?

Does anyone have any experience of this and which is likely to work out cheaper and better in the long run?

Thanks!!

Didn't you ask this question yesterday? (neat hidden 'bump')

Are you a mature student (with a family) or a young single student?

When I did my first Masters, I had a young family. I commuted to uni (about 45 mins each way each day. - By car.) It made life difficult. - I don't know how challenging your course is going to be, but if (like mne) it involves a significant amount of 'after hours' work, even a couple of hours travel a day is going to make your life difficult.

If you've no family commitments which tie you absolutely to Sheffield - go and live in Hull.

If you have family commitments which tie you to Sheffield, have you considered the effect of a long commute on (a) your family and (b) your ability to do the work?

Should your question have been: "Is it feasible to commute daily to Hull and to complete the academic work necessary to obtain a decent Masters' degree?"

My answer would be: "Probably not. Can you move to Hull?"

It would take you an hour and a quarter to drive there. - If you were quick and the roasd were clear.

By public transport 2- 2½ hours each way?

And you are going to meet the academic challenge of a Masters' programme with 5 hours commuting each day?

A bit optimistic, IMO.

It would be more than 2-2 1/2 hours if you're doing trams trains and busses, remember apart from travel time you also have waiting times and as you will already know, things are never spot on - on time.

If it is possible to move to Hull and live in halls - I really would.

Edit to add: also train fares have just gone up again

It would be more than 2-2 1/2 hours if you're doing trams trains and busses, remember apart from travel time you also have waiting times and as you will already know, things are never spot on - on time.

If it is possible to move to Hull and live in halls - I really would.

Edit to add: also train fares have just gone up again

Halls are generally for 1st Year students.

Or so it says.

If you're a foreign student, or a student who - for some reason - can't reasonably be expected to live elsewhere

- Or if you're paying and if they don't help you, they can do without the money -

Then things do change, sometimes.

To be fair, most universities seem to do their best to help students to solve problems.

IMO, a 5-hour commute would be a real pain in the arse and a 5-hour commute on top of a reasonably challenging Masters' programme would be totally unacceptable.

not sure it would be a 5 hour commute, trains to hull seem to take between 1 and a half to 2 hours and some trains are direct others seem to require a single change at doncaster. depending where the op lives then it may not be such a long commute.

and going on the train would give the op chance to do some work/study.

depending on the op's circumstances trying to find somewhere in hull might be a sensible idea, though many of the bit's of hull i've been have have been a bit grim.

Firstly, well done for getting onto a Masters course.

Judging by the lack of response, it may be that we are all thinking "rather you than me".

It's a heck of a way (time-wise there and back more than anything else) and on public transport how long will that take, out of interest?

And cost-wise, does your timetable (some back-to-back days) allow you to consider stopping over in a B&B?

Firstly, well done for getting onto a Masters course.

Judging by the lack of response, it may be that we are all thinking "rather you than me".

It's a heck of a way (time-wise there and back more than anything else) and on public transport how long will that take, out of interest?

And cost-wise, does your timetable (some back-to-back days) allow you to consider stopping over in a B&B?

there is another thread a bit further down (or up) the list about this.

depending on the op's circumstances trying to find somewhere in hull might be a sensible idea, though many of the bit's of hull i've been have have been a bit grim.

Indeed , If I were the OP I'd try and get a place at Sheffield University or the Poly, if he/she hasn't already done so.

I did this commute for 6 months. It is not sustainable. The train to Hull is very uncomfortable and very cold. It is too far to do regularly. It would be okay once a week, maybe twice a week. But every day would be too much. The train is not really comfortable enough to be able to work on the journey. My abiding memory of it is being very cold!

The other thing is that with public transport links you have to spend a lot of time at Hull train station which is also freezing and uncomfortable. There is nowhere to get warm and no pubs or cafe nearby to wait. It makes it difficult at the end of a working day.