Pond in Norfolk park

I have memories as a small child, feeding ducks on a pond in Norfolk park. I went for the first time in years today, and there doesn't appear to be a pond. My Mum says there was, and my Great Nannan used to take me there. I know it could have been filled in, but I can't find any reference to it on the internet. Am I going mad?

I don't remember a pond in Norfolk Park, though that doesn't mean that there was not one. I would have thought that the steep terrain would have made it difficult to have housed one.

I know there were ponds at Millhouses, Hillsborough Park, Firth park and Graves parks, but not in Meersbrook Park. (another park which has very steep terrain). I can't ever remember visiting high Hazels park, so can't say about that one.

There were definitely ponds above Norfolk Park, on the Arbourthorne playing fields, of which only one remains.

Just had a look at a map of Norfolk Park as it was in the 1900s, and there's no indications that there was a pond at that time.

However, there is a pond shown, on some land the opposite side of Granville road, between Granville Road and Norfolk Park road, which I believe belonged to the Farm that was there before the Catholic High school and the Former Granville College.

Thanks, Beanyblade... correction, I have found what might be a pond, in the vicinity of the cafe, but it's very small and indistinct on the 1900's map.

Thank you for the replies. I will have to look at the old maps. I could be wrong I suppose, my Nannan lived in the high rise flats, so we may have passed a pond on the way to the park. I just expected to relive a childhood memory today, and it didn't happen.

Have a look on the Sheffield history forum, search for "jervis lum" quite a few posts on there relating to ponds along the line of the stream. But there's been no pond there in recent times.

Have a look on the Sheffield history forum, search for "jervis lum" quite a few posts on there relating to ponds along the line of the stream. But there's been no pond there in recent times.

Just outside the park, Cherry pond/Cherry tree pond

Edited by me-and-pippo

The only place I can image where a pond in Norfolk Park would be is the flat bit where the Sheffield Fayre (which is on today, actually) do their battle re-enactments and stuff.

The only place I can image where a pond in Norfolk Park would be is the flat bit where the Sheffield Fayre (which is on today, actually) do their battle re-enactments and stuff.

The flat area was created in 1959, up to then it was a sloping bank,

just like the surrounding areas.

The flat area was created in 1959, up to then it was a sloping bank,

just like the surrounding areas.

Ok cheers, just a thought

i think you mean the pond on northern ave near to where the cinema used to be thats the nly one i know of ive lived around there for nearly 50 years