Searching for info on WW1 soldiers Yorks & Lancs

Hi Kiwi Guy

Thank you for your information, I didn't realise about the Australian soldiers but I will make enquires at the Library Archives in Perth when I am next in there.It won't be for a while as we have just put our house on the market so pretty busy just now. I will let you know what I found out down the track

Down under

Hiya,

if you check the local parish church where your uncle lived they often have records and memorials commemorating those who fell in the great wars.

We managed to also obtain photo's from them too when researching a great grandparent who was killed in action in the Somme

War graves commission also very helpful

Hope this helps

Good luck with your search/research

mumsy

Hi Mumsy

Thank you for your information, much appreciated, I will check it out

Thanks again

Down Under

Did your mother have any siblings ? I traced the family of my father's brother in the Sheffield phone book. I rang every entry with the surname. I eventually - after some very suspicious replies traced a cousin. His father was the elder brother and had been given a case with all the documents sent by his father from France with the York & Lancs . I established my grandfather had won the MM twice. Most of the doculments & medals had been lost over the years but they did have a Comendation for a Military Medal with a photo - A friend used the computer to make a lovely copy. I wrote to the records dept. as a next of kin and received a copy of all my grandfather's military records - medical - where he was posted etc. I know more about him than my own father who died when I was a baby !! There was also a poor photo recording grandfather's death in the Sheffield Star.

Edited by dunreet

Hi Dunreet

Thank you for your email, my Mum did have plenty of siblings but all gone now, I have found out that a cousin who has passed away now her husband has a photo of my uncle and his medal and ribbons, I couldn't believe it, it's just by chance that I phoned him as we have never seen each other for years, when I offered to pay for him to send them for me as he is no relation to my uncle, he said he didn't know if he wanted to let them go. I feel very upset, he has said that he will get a copy of the photo and send it to me but that was about three months ago, nothing yet, I phoned him again but still nothing.

I will try the Star too just in case

I would ask him again to send the photo - and keep asking, he will not want to part with the medals as its amazing how many people sell them. Its sad as the things others would treasure are in the pocession of people who have no interest. I went to visit my cousin with the family tree I had traced and all the information on our grandfather and he was not interested. I asked if I could borrow the citation for the Military Medal longer - he agreed - I still have it and treasure it. He told me they used to take the medals to school for projects but they were lost over the years ! It is possible to buy copies.

I have WW1 medals belonging to Uncle Jim from Ireland (he wasn't really a relation but lived with the family as was the norm then). I have tried to trace his family to give his medals to them it is proving very difficult as he died in 1948.

I'm also looking for a Harry Evans but WWII

You have to contact MoD to get WW2 info. You can apply for their service history, it costs £30 and you have to be next of kin or have their signature on the application form

You have to contact MoD to get WW2 info. You can apply for their service history, it costs £30 and you have to be next of kin or have their signature on the application form

I obtained my father's service history after his death, I had to supply his death certificate and, as you say, pay the £30:00. I believe these applications are now taking up to a year.

Hi Dunreet

Yes I will keep asking for the photo

Pleased to hear that you found out about your grandfather, I would treasure the photo of my uncle and I'm sure it really means nothing to my cousin's husband but what can I do.

And thank you to the others that have provided info about service info

Keep searching

Down Under

---------- Post added 24-04-2013 at 15:57 ----------

Hi Dunreet and everyone else who tried to help, just to let you know I finally received the photo of my uncle

Very pleased Down Under

So pleased for you - it proves perseverance pays in the end.