Searching for info on WW1 soldiers Yorks & Lancs

I am looking for info on my uncle who died age 20 in France in WW1 in 1917

his name is Frank Warrington

Is it possible to find photo's of these soldiers

There are service papers and medal index card for a 3607/201579 Frank Warrington of the 4th York & Lancs of Sheffield on Ancestry. Cant see an image for him in the Sheffield Independent of the day but you could try the Sheffield Telegraph at Sheffield Local Studies.

Dean.

There is a Yorks and Lancs museum in the Rotherham Central Library

It may be worth a visit as they have records that may help.

I found them very helpful when they managed to find my Grandfathers service number

Just a thought -

Note - I am not an expert on the Yorks and Lancs specifically, but quickly looking online 4th Battalion was originally a Territorial Battalion (Pre War part time soldiers). That suggests that he may have been a Pre War part time soldier though by then many battalions had received 'recruits' from later conscripts and volunteers.

As to photo, those of specific enlisted men rarely survive in official records (many were destroyed in WW2). The Yorks and Lancs Regimental Museum (which as i understand it is overworked and understaffed/ resourced) would indeed be your best bet.

Here he is.....

Name:

Frank Warrington

Death Date:

3 May 1917

Death Location:

France & Flanders

Enlistment Location:

Sheffield

Private

Regiment:

York and Lancaster Regiment

Battalion:

2/4th (Hallamshire) (T.F.) Battalion

Number:

Type of Casualty:

Killed in action

Theatre of War:

Western European Theatre

will do a search for a photos too for you

Thank you everyone for your help with my request for Frank Warrington WW1 soldier

very much appreciated

Thank you Janette1169 for the offer of searching for a photo

I did try the Yorks&Lancs museum but they couldn't help with photo, I will try the Telegraph & Star

Hi Down Under

Many firms or organizaeions had their own works magazines where they posted obituaries or photographs of former employees lost in action.

If he did work in a steelworks or some other large company you may find him in one of these magazines, some of which are in the Sheffield local History Library.

It's worth a try.

I hope this helps PopT

Thank you PopT, I don't know where he worked but it is something else to try, if only I had asked questions when my mum was alive, I now live in Australia so can't just pop into the Library to ask questions but I won't give up the search

Thanks again

Down Under

Thank you PopT, I don't know where he worked but it is something else to try, if only I had asked questions when my mum was alive, I now live in Australia so can't just pop into the Library to ask questions but I won't give up the search

Thanks again

Down Under

Hi,

There is a public family tree on Ancestry, Father Joseph born Sheffield 1862 Cabinet Maker, Mother Hannah M. Barraclough.

Thank you multiparvo1, that is probably my family tree as I have that information, I would really really like to find a photo but it seems a bit impossible, thanks again

Down Under

Hi Down under.

I am in much the same predicament as yourself, with a long lost relative from 2/4 Y&LR. My Grandfathers Uncle Served in France and by chance shares some things in common with you Relative.

Same Unit.

Same Date of Death.

It is my understanding from what I have researched that alot of the 2/4th Battalion was killed at Bullecourt France on the 3rd May 1917. You will find that Australian soldiers also served in the same area of operations at the same time and might be able to glean some information as the 62Div (to which Yand LR belonged) was supporting the 1 AIF in their attack on Bullecourt.

---------- Post added 28-03-2013 at 14:02 ----------

Hi Down under.

I am in much the same predicament as yourself, with a long lost relative from 2/4 Y&LR. My Grandfathers Uncle Served in France and by chance shares some things in common with you Relative.

Same Unit.

Same Date of Death.

It is my understanding from what I have researched that alot of the 2/4th Battalion was killed at Bullecourt France on the 3rd May 1917. You will find that Australian soldiers also served in the same area of operations at the same time and might be able to glean some information as the 62Div (to which Yand LR belonged) was supporting the 1 AIF in their attack on Bullecourt.