First oil change

i only use genuine oils as im one of the few that sticks to main dealers, taking the leon to skeggy tonight so will see its true mpg on a run.... if i can survive its unforgiving ride and road noise.

Considering how the oil turbo feed pipe can get gummed up, and the strict specification of particular type of semi synthetic oil I'd say the complete opposite.

Diesels - particularly cars - are far more complicated than they used to be and they need regular frequent changes to prevent the emissions system from going wrong.

Agree with you for the same reasons, I have my Renault Trafic 115 changed SemiS every 5000 miles, along with air filter. The fuel filter is swapped on every 2nd oil change.

i only use genuine oils as im one of the few that sticks to main dealers, taking the leon to skeggy tonight so will see its true mpg on a run.... if i can survive its unforgiving ride and road noise.

If you're going to Skeg, don't fill up tonight as the ESSO station on the main road into Skegness is usually about 5p cheaper a litre than most places in Sheffield :D

Edit: Oh, possibly too late on that one :(

If the dealers had a cosy tie in with the oil companies wouldn't they be advocating shorter intervals?

I don't think they need to, judging from the comments on here people are quite able to scare themselves into spending a pile more money without the help of the oil companies.

It's a new car. Presumably it came with all the usual paperwork. - Users Manual, Service Record etc.

If there's a space in the Service record for a 500 mile/800km service, it probably needs one. If there is no space, it doesn't.

Most cars don't have paper service books any more. The whole thing is done on line.

I don't think they need to, judging from the comments on here people are quite able to scare themselves into spending a pile more money without the help of the oil companies.

You certainly have a point there. The other thing to consider is the cars on board service computer. It works out service intervals based on time as well as mileage. If you do a low mileage the services will come up at quite low mileages. This is fine for oil changes etc, but if a main service requires plugs to be changed it is worth thinking whether it is really necessary. My car is fitted with Iridium plugs which have a life of 100,000. Because the car does a low mileage the "D" service came due at well under 40K. The dealer mentioned this and didn't change the plugs which cost around £30 each. Not all dealers are so honest.

Edited by SHYTOT

FACTS:

car only has 480 miles on clock

first 3 years worth of servicing is included with the car (are they avoiding one to save costs)

also im lucky to get 30mpg atm which is heavy on the pocket

I bet you have been talking to some of the old boys, they had cars in the day when you had a sticker in your back window “running in” … you don’t see them anymore do you :hihi:

30 mpg … you don’t wear lead diving boots do you … every time you put your foot down and you get that adrenaline rush when the turbo kicks in just think of the ££££££££££££££ going down the toilet.

seat intervals are 10k mate i used to work 4 seat

The other thing to consider is the cars on board service computer. It works out service intervals based on time as well as mileage. If you do a low mileage the services will come up at quite low mileages.

Not all cars have this though, most have a basic pre-set counter.

Aww, has somebody got the face on just because many people don't agree with you?

Maybe a 6000 mile oil change is a placebo, maybe it isn't (the consensus is going with "isn't" which obviously bothers you). But now diesels are complicated beasts with expensive parts and repair bills i'd rather go with a preventative maintenance program.

I had a Cortina for five years and never changed the oil. Makes no difference.

Aww, has somebody got the face on just because many people don't agree with you?

Maybe a 6000 mile oil change is a placebo, maybe it isn't (the consensus is going with "isn't" which obviously bothers you). But now diesels are complicated beasts with expensive parts and repair bills i'd rather go with a preventative maintenance program.

I think the 6000 mile oil changes are worth doing and do it myself, maybe a read of this will give people an understanding of why people do them= http://www.off-road-outdoors.com/Oil-breakdown.html

And that comment could be equally applied to you as well, except I'm not that childish.

Me no. If you want to spend, ie waste your money then I'm sure you can. If you are going to advise others to waste money they don't have expect to get called on it, especially when the science and evidence say plum opposite what you are saying.