Loving your dog [ or cat ]

My georgous Bulldog had an op today, what a stressfull day. We love her to bit's and treat her like a child.

She is ok, thank you the vet man.

Why do we [ some of us ] treat our pets like children?

Is it morally wrong with all cruellity in the world to do this?

Why do some people beat their pets? or even kid's?

I have 2 grown children and i have never beat them, and they are level headed, hopefully with no violent ways in them.

I don't really like cat's but i would never harm one and would take in a stray or injured one if need be.

My 2 dogs will sleep with mom and dad on our bed tonight.

Why do some people find this offensive?

?????????????????????:?

I love my dog and cats with all my heart and treat them like family members (including the cats having their own bedroom which is lined in sheepskins so it's extra comfy and warm) but they are still animals and I think that loving them means that I have to love them enough to provide the best for them in animal terms without trying to make them into humans.

My dog does much better not sleeping in the bed with us. Quite apart from the fact that she'd fill the bed and leave us both uncomfortable and squished, if she starts getting to call the shots in life with things like where she sleeps then that's not good for her emotionally, as she struggles with her nerves (as a rescue dog with a dreadful history) so she's happier knowing inside that someone else is the boss so she doesn't have to try to be.

If people find this offensive then that's their problem not mine. I do my bit to try to make sure that my animals don't impact their lives in a negative way (several neighbours have told me that they enjoy Isaac or Billy going visiting for a snuggle) and as long as my animals aren't causing an issue then I don't see why I should cater for everybody else's opinions. I don't tell them that their living room is painted a disgusting colour or their children have bad manners, so they can keep their opinions about my animals to themselves.

I love my dog and cats with all my heart and treat them like family members (including the cats having their own bedroom which is lined in sheepskins so it's extra comfy and warm) but they are still animals and I think that loving them means that I have to love them enough to provide the best for them in animal terms without trying to make them into humans.

My dog does much better not sleeping in the bed with us. Quite apart from the fact that she'd fill the bed and leave us both uncomfortable and squished, if she starts getting to call the shots in life with things like where she sleeps then that's not good for her emotionally, as she struggles with her nerves (as a rescue dog with a dreadful history) so she's happier knowing inside that someone else is the boss so she doesn't have to try to be.

If people find this offensive then that's their problem not mine. I do my bit to try to make sure that my animals don't impact their lives in a negative way (several neighbours have told me that they enjoy Isaac or Billy going visiting for a snuggle) and as long as my animals aren't causing an issue then I don't see why I should cater for everybody else's opinions. I don't tell them that their living room is painted a disgusting colour or their children have bad manners, so they can keep their opinions about my animals to themselves.

:):) Snuggled up with my little one.

My georgous Bulldog had an op today, what a stressfull day. We love her to bit's and treat her like a child.

She is ok, thank you the vet man.

Why do we [ some of us ] treat our pets like children?

Is it morally wrong with all cruellity in the world to do this?

Why do some people beat their pets? or even kid's?

I have 2 grown children and i have never beat them, and they are level headed, hopefully with no violent ways in them.

I don't really like cat's but i would never harm one and would take in a stray or injured one if need be.

My 2 dogs will sleep with mom and dad on our bed tonight.

Why do some people find this offensive?

Probably because they have no idea of how a dogs life is structured and fail to understand what harm they might be doing. It's a dog not a baby.

Animals will return love to you unconditionally, no matter what you look like or what you may have done. They dont judge you. Animals rely on us to keep them healthy, just like children, so why should we treat them any differently?

In response to the original post about cruelty- cruelty affects animals just as much as children. if anything this should make us closer to our pets rather than making us feel guilty about caring for them so much.

If this offended people I would show my love for my pets all the more!

Animals will return love to you unconditionally, no matter what you look like or what you may have done. They dont judge you. Animals rely on us to keep them healthy, just like children, so why should we treat them any differently?

In response to the original post about cruelty- cruelty affects animals just as much as children. if anything this should make us closer to our pets rather than making us feel guilty about caring for them so much.

If this offended people I would show my love for my pets all the more!

On the contrary I think (some)dogs do judge you. It's in their own interest to work out whether you are a leader or will be led.

Probably because they have no idea of how a dogs life is structured and fail to understand what harm they might be doing. It's a dog not a baby.

How wrong you are. They are my baby's. :)

I love my dog.

Hes my best friend.

He is also huge and has massive teeth and is probably twice as strong as me.

With that in mind i treat him like a member of the family.

But if he steps out of line i jump on him like the leader of a pack should do.

I think he respoects me for this even though at times it can appear im being too hard, brutal even.

Hope your dog is feeling better after the op!

I love my dog but I really do not treat him like a child and we have a lot of things he is not allowed to do. I do not like animals upstairs or on my furniture. Neither does he eat off any 'human' plates. :gag: He is always fed after ourselves on raw food and I do not allow him to scrounge.

He is not allowed to do anything I don't want him to do, I'm more stubborn than him and it keeps him happy and well behaved. I'm a stickler for rules (by job revolves around them and children) and like everything to be pretty ordered and that includes my dog!

I cannot bring myself to ever put him in kennels so he goes to my parents or mates where he follows the same rules we have at home, or he is meant to! :suspect: I am proud of my dog, we get nice comments about how he behaves and how chilled he is. Not that you would believe it 5 years ago when we got him out of rescue! I am currently applying for PAT dog status as I feel he is able to spread some happiness to others as he is so chilled and likes human contact.

All that said he is a dog. After my human family he is the next most important thing in my life. Career, money and possessions come after my dog.

Mmmmm animals,very tasty.

:hihi::hihi:

Try posting that in the pets section.

Go on, i dare ya.!

:hihi::hihi:

Try posting that in the pets section.

Go on, i dare ya.!

I think the majority eat animals..... and our dogs do too!

Edited by Evei
added 'do'