Need help with wanting to learn how to play the guitar

I learned from books at the city library.

Imo, to learn any musical instrument without a tutor near your side is like building a house with weak foundations - it'll have the potential to crumble later. You risk retarding your development and probably won't realise your true potential. Your progress will be slow and you may end up becoming frustated/bored early on and ultimately end. Youtube, online books, books from libraries are all good but should only be used as supplementary material. Books and videos will not see and hear your bad habits developing. They will certainly not help you find ways to correct them, unless of course you're a genius (let's face it, most of us aren't).

Acoustic guitar should be taught by someone with a good reputation and is an expert guitar player too. Having a tutor will help you build good habits and realise your potential early on. They will spot bad habits creeping in and offer advice in how to correct/avoid them in the future. As a result, your progress will be much quicker too.

You can find tutors through the internet and specific websites;

http://www.musicteachers.co.uk/search?mode=submit&instrument=guitar&keywords=Keywords&region=49

The above website is a good start - check tutors out 1st e.g. seek references etc, ask to see port folios of past and present pupils - request you see exam results (if appropriate). A good teacher will help source a good starting instrument too.

By laying solid foundations, you facilitate your learning of what is a lovely instrument when played right.

Good luck.

Alan

Edited by Tazbot

Within a couple of weeks you'll know all the main major, minor and seventh chords. You only need two chords to write a song.

I started about 8 years ago and still don't know those chords.... hasn't stopped me writing tons of songs and playing in many bands. :hihi:

I started last August and used www.justinguitar.com. Think I paid about £20ish for his beginners course book, plus beginner songs book and never looked back. Unlike other books you get the website and all the youtube clips to help you along. I finished his beginner's course in about 8 months and doing his Intermediate stuff now.

As for guitars....I'd get something you like the look of and get it setup properly. You'll want light strings and a low action at the nut. You might think getting something cheap is best because you don't know how long you'll keep up the hobby but if you get something you like, that costs a bit more, and that plays well you'll pick it up more often and use it. And if you don't, branded guitars with a good reputation fetch more on ebay if you ever decided to give it up and sell it.

Look at something like a Yamaha APX500II. They're small bodied and easier to play than a big dreadnought, and Yamaha quality control is very consistent. Lots of colour choices too and for all under £300.