Chernobyl disaster

Fair comment Ron .

I was (probably) reading into Agony's initial post something that wasn't there.

.. .Sorry, Agony.

(And feeling somewhat grumpy:mad: ... but that has nothing to do with the subject, or the forum.)

Edited by Rupert_Baehr

Fair comment Ron .

I was (probably) reading into Agony's initial post something that wasn't there.

.. .Sorry, Agony.

(And feeling somewhat grumpy:mad: ... but that has nothing to do with the subject, or the forum.)

It's okay rupert...at least someone pointed it out in the end...

I remember the news clips of the guys going into the reactot knowing full well they were going to do and I remember the guidance we got in the UK - close your windows. Great!

I wonder what other advice the government could have given?

"Stay inside, keep your windows shut and wash any fresh food you eat" is probably all you could do.

Had there been an imminent (and significant) risk of I131 poisoning, then presumably the government would have handed out Iodine to people, (so that they could pre-load their thyroid glands with non-radioactive iodine.)

Iodine doesn't stay in your body for more than a few days (and I131 is used in the treatment of hypertyroidism) so presumably the threat was not considered to be sufficiently serious to issue it.

I remember the news clips of the guys going into the reactot knowing full well they were going to do and I remember the guidance we got in the UK - close your windows. Great!

I'm not sure what else you expected them to do - it was the correct advice after all. There was no need to wash veg, although that was a good idea regardless, there was no real danger outside due to the distance we were from the reactor.

Yes the workers were receiving 5.6 rtg a second in some areas and a lethal dose is 500 rtg, and it involved half a million people do put it right

Wasn't there a story about one man in one of the teams who went in (4mins allotted time each man I think) 4 or 5 times? wearing large heavy gloves and aprons, lead most likely.

Wasn't there a story about one man in one of the teams who went in (4mins allotted time each man I think) 4 or 5 times? wearing large heavy gloves and aprons, lead most likely.

Yes soldiers were given 4 minutes each per shift to shovel as much hazardous waste as possible though the equipment they wore was meaningless,it had very little or no protection at all. One superviser on the night shift stayed at work all night with his team trying to pump enough water to cool it down. He died two weeks later. They initially tried to put the blame on him. For your story on someone volunteering five times more than likely might have been true. Alot were Russian soldiers who bore the brunt with Belarus being the country that has suffered most since the disaster.

Where the four minutes shift took place was the most hazardous area so if they were getting hit by 5 rts a second, they would have had the lethal dose in the four minutes they were on shift with 500 rts being a lethal dose...plus the people who were emptying soil from under the plant to fill it with concrete

Yes soldiers were given 4 minutes each per shift to shovel as much hazardous waste as possible though the equipment they wore was meaningless,it had very little or no protection at all. One superviser on the night shift stayed at work all night with his team trying to pump enough water to cool it down. He died two weeks later. They initially tried to put the blame on him. For your story on someone volunteering five times more than likely might have been true. Alot were Russian soldiers who bore the brunt with Belarus being the country that has suffered most since the disaster.

I've tried to find a link but not having much joy. Ready to be corrected but the 4 minute allotted time had nothing to do with being exposed to rts, it was purely the weight of the protection they were wearing. I'm not sure safety was their prime concern.

Just drop the bomb and end it already.

At least we will get rid of all the lefty arseholes that poured disdain on the Govt"s well thought out "Protect and Survive" pamphlets. While you lot were out protesting and blocking rail transports of nuclear material to Windscale, we were building shelters out of unwanted doors and empty Weetabix boxes that we meant to bring round to the recycling but never bothered with. Frankly, I have more of a problem getting rid of used wine bottles.

Forums poster "Agony", do you want to have a serious discussion about nuclear power ?