Playing fields at High Storrs closed to the public

Wow! You're quite the drama queen aren't you. So a private field not being made available to the public is responsible for the decline of childrens health. It's been pointed out on here that there are plenty of fields in the vicinity for our precious children to use if they want to.

It really wouldn't surprise me though if in a few years time some fat waster with major health issues used the unavailability of a private field as an excuse to sit on their fat arse shovelling pizza and cake into their gaping maw.

I must concede the drama queen crown to your good self.

Its intrigunig that Tapton / King Edward VII playing fields are wide open and regualrly used by the public

I presume the residents of Crosspool and Ranmoor are more civilized than those at Bents Green?

Its intrigunig that Tapton / King Edward VII playing fields are wide open and regualrly used by the public

I presume the residents of Crosspool and Ranmoor are more civilized than those at Bents Green?

Its possible that they have extra funding in an agreement with the council / government / charity because of a lack of facilities in the area?

I must concede the drama queen crown to your good self.

Fair enough. I just don't like fat wasters or their apologists.

I think the main reason it was closed off though was because of various football teams using the field at weekends without permission. By the time it stopped there were about 3 or 4 different leagues playing on Saturdays and Sundays. This wasn't a problem to anyone, but the parking was. Ringinglow Road used to be full of cars on both sides, meaning only one lane of traffic could move at any one time. This caused a nightmare with the buses and traffic jams and I think the bus companies complained to the Council about it. Plus the usual problems of people's driveways being blocked etc. It just got too much.

I wonder what happened to those children who used to play games on High Storrs fields at the weekends. Did another school offer them access to playing space? Or did they have to give up live sport and resort to computer games instead?

It is certainly possible. I fully expect that Ranmoor residents are better behaved than myself. But would it not be a crying shame if all the well-to-do kids in well-off areas could access their school playing fields during evenings and weekends (as indeed they should) whilst the less well-off children were shut out of theirs. What would be the implications of such a policy for young people attending schools in the large council housing estates of the city. Are they indeed locked out of their own school playing fields outside school hours? I would hate to think that this was council policy, as it would only further emphasise the health divide between rich and poor within the city. Can we find out on here which schools allow access outside school hours and which schools don't?

I wonder what happened to those children who used to play games on High Storrs fields at the weekends. Did another school offer them access to playing space? Or did they have to give up live sport and resort to computer games instead?

The only children's team who played on High Storrs field was Socrates girls team. I think they relocated to Totley. All the other teams were adults. I presume they were various Saturday/Sunday leagues or something. Pub teams/works teams, that sort of thing.

Crosspool Juniors Girls FC played on the High Storrs pitches for many years on Saturdays, up until the site was closed off to accomodate the mobile classrooms, contractors equipment etc. when the refurbishment began a few years ago. The school charged the club for the use of the pitches and it was all arranged formally via their finance department. Can't now remember if any of the boys' teams used it on Sundays - I was Secretary at the club at that time and posted all the cheques! The teams are playing in other venues now and am happy to report that they have not reverted to underactive computer-playing couch potatoes as mentioned by 1 concerned poster ;)

I think the main reason it was closed off though was because of various football teams using the field at weekends without permission. By the time it stopped there were about 3 or 4 different leagues playing on Saturdays and Sundays. This wasn't a problem to anyone, but the parking was. Ringinglow Road used to be full of cars on both sides, meaning only one lane of traffic could move at any one time. This caused a nightmare with the buses and traffic jams and I think the bus companies complained to the Council about it. Plus the usual problems of people's driveways being blocked etc. It just got too much.

This is completely untrue. As I have mentioned, the school hired out their pitches formally and we paid to use them. Why say we played without permission when you don't actually know.

Does anyone know if Sheffield City Council is planning on selling the playing fields adjacent to High Storrs school to developers? Is the stalled Tesco Local moving from Abbeydale Road to Ringinglow Road?

Tapton and King Edwards playing fields, like the school buildings do not belong to the council but to the developer who rebuilt them. The developer hires out the playing fields and school premises out of hours for their own profit, hence the floodlights that light up the valley from Crosspool to High Storrs every night (even in June). However, High Storrs school and playing fields still belong to the Council.