SSE to raise gas and electricity prices

I don't know, why do you think?

Sorry, that makes no sense at all. You clearly said the profits were obscene so I was wondering why - it's a reasonable question.

Cheaper Gas and Lecky, or keep sending billions of pounds overseas to "help" the needy.

The choice is yours.

Angel.

Try U - Switch. Put me on a tariff reduced from £107 per month to £84 per month.

Cheaper Gas and Lecky, or keep sending billions of pounds overseas to "help" the needy.

The choice is yours.

It seems that it isn't. according to the Centrica article I mentioned in Post #12, the government wanted to cut road fuel taxes by £2 Billion.

That would make the people (a bit more) happy.

That doesn't mean that the government was planning to cut tax revenues by that amount - the taxes would be shifted elsewhere.

Onto the gas industry. - Which would have to pay the taxes. But of course the industry would 'reclaim' the taxes from its customers. - People like you.

Gas and Electricity prices are going to rise - and the rises are likely to be well in excess of inflation.

More people want more gas and more electricity. The number of power stations in the UK is insufficient to meet predicted demand during the next 10 years, so more will have to be built.

Who is going to pay for that? - At a guess, the people who use electricity. (Who else is going to pay?)

More gas is going to be needed. Did the UK electrcity generators and power suppliers enter into a long-term fixed-price agreement with their suppliers?

If not, the UK will buy fuel on the open market - which is subject to price pressures from everybody else in that market.

If the government wishes to tax gas producers (to boost tax revenue for whatever reason) what are they - or you- going to do about it?

The small consumer has two choices. Buy as much as you use now and pay higher prices or buy significantly less.

If you buy less, you can either sit in the dark, shiver and turn the TV off or improve the insulation in your house and use energy-efficient lights and appliances.

They all cost money. But then again, very little is free.

I've been looking at a PV array for my house. A big one. (About 17.5 KwH.) If the sums show it will make a profit, I'll go for it. - If it's not cost-effective, I won't bother.

The data I've been given suggest that electricity prices (and they are rather higher here than in the UK) are likely to rise by 6% a year. Every year for the foreseeable future.

Try U - Switch. Put me on a tariff reduced from £107 per month to £84 per month.

You don't happen to work for U-switch per chance? You do realise other generators are likely to follow suit?

we are being sucked dry while our governments sit back and watch.

Is it just me or does this conjure up inappropriate images?

Is it just me or does this conjure up inappropriate images?

It’s just you; no one else would conjure up such an image,:o not that I know what image you’ve conjured. :D

Labour could do little about it.

In their entire term in government? Nonsense. They could have bought them back. Or done any number of other things.

They decided to use parliamentary time to do other things they considered more important.

Labour chose not to do anything about it.

Not that it would have stopped the increasing price rises much anyway.

In their entire term in government? Nonsense. They could have bought them back. Or done any number of other things.

They decided to use parliamentary time to do other things they considered more important.

Labour chose not to do anything about it.

Not that it would have stopped the increasing price rises much anyway.

So why haven't the Tories done that, why did they flog the utilities off in the first place knowing full well that private companies exist for profit?

So why haven't the Tories done that, why did they flog the utilities off in the first place knowing full well that private companies exist for profit?

For the same reason that labour didn’t re nationalize them, it’s sensible for utilities to be in the private sector, it makes them much more efficient.

You still haven't said why you think those profits were obscene Mecky... are you going to enlighten us?

You still haven't said why you think those profits were obscene Mecky... are you going to enlighten us?

Are you 5 years old or something? Stop trying grind out pointless arguments