Anyone play football for Club 62

There was another decent team around the same time as Club 62, they being North End United who were (I think) from the same area. A pal of mine Alan Fisher played for them.

Also, didn't Jimmy Hinch become a professional footballer, playing for York City in perhaps the last good team they had, Plymouth Argyle and maybe the Owls ?

There was another decent team around the same time as Club 62, they being North End United who were (I think) from the same area. A pal of mine Alan Fisher played for them.

I think he still lives in the Handsworth area. I bumped into him in the Asda there three or four years ago.

Anyone play football for Club 62?

Yes, Jimmy Hinch did become a professional football player. The full info of his club career can be found on Wikipedia as we all well know!

Here is a cuppler signed pics of lanky Jim: 1 and 2.

Hi Keith (Whitey),

Happy memories, Other names were Les May and his brother, Vinny Lax, Chuck? and Dave Morris. I believe Pheno and Dave Morris passed away very young.

It was good to see me with hair. The blond locks disappeared some time ago.

Dont suppose you have a copy of the pic when we got the ice blue strip? Slotter was asking and I cant find mine. I managed to keep going at Yorkshire league and county senior plus Sheffield and District Sunday league until my mid 40s with various teams.

Pete Fisher (Fish)

On 27/12/2016 at 13:38, Jim Hardie said:

Are you related to Eric Bingham who I think lived on Willow Drive?

No! Not related.

Hi Slots, we met and played together a long time ago. I played for years with St Joes at handsworth on sundays , a team you made a few guest appearances for. also played for various teams at the mill usually run by Dickey Lea. We probably know all the same people. I have lost touch as  i have been in Canada since 1980. Played indoors & out until recently in local over 60 s league with lots of expats. Names I recall Batham brothers, Phelan,Bishop.

Regards Hibbsy

Hi Hibbsy,some fond memories of those matches on Handsworth rec. an old mate off the Ballifield,John Bingham,lives in Canada at Gravenhurst  ON,he posts on here as Joe Bloggs,who would we know you as?

Hi Pete. known as HIBBSY on this forum. Live in Bowmanville with is an hours drive east of Toronto. Gravenhurst is about 2 hours drive north of us. Nice place to visit in the summer.

I have just joined the forum after seeing the articles on Club 62, a club in which I was involved with on its formation in September 1962. I was the secretary and an application was made to join the Sheffield and Hallamshire under 18 league. Unfortunately we were put into the first division alongside Sheffield United, Rotherham Utd juniors, Barnsley Colts, Chesterfield juniors, Charlton utd and Hillsborough boys club. The first match against Rotherham was lost 27-1 the second match against Chesterfield was lost 13-0, then came the match against Sheffield United, we started with 10 men, reduced to 9 and lost 35-0. After the match a reporter came to see me to comment on the rhetoric of lol Swallow, uniteds junior Manager who had fiercely criticised the Sheffield And Hallamshire for allowing us into the league. This criticism got us much publicity in the Sheffield Star and the national news paper the Daily Herald. We played Charlton United, the league leaders on 2ins of snow and lost 3-0, a feat for which club 62 won the Green Un merit ball. The 1962/3 season was abrupted by a severe bad winter and all junior leagues were cancelled. In the 1963/4 season Club 62 won the league and were promoted to the first division. In a traditional match of the top teams of both divisions Club 62 defeated Sheffield United 5-4 at the Swallownest miners welfare ground. 

Charlie Benson

On 22/08/2012 at 14:11, slotter47 said:

Anyone play football for Club 62 based at Woodhouse Mill

3 hours ago, Geoffrey Young said:

Are you the same Geoff Young that played for Club 62 and (perhaps) lived in the Southey Green area, later moving to Torquay, Devon ?

That's me, drop me a line l would love to hear from anyone who remembers me from back then. 

Looking forward to hearing from you, get in touch.

Geoff.