Why crush uninsured cars?

They publicly talk about them being crushed and have stated that they only auction those of high value.

It's not my thread though, so why not ask the OP for any evidence to back up the topic.

I expect you're correct and that the majority of cars that are not reclaimed are of little value except as scrap.

Well you've answered your own question. They don't crush them all. They sell on the ones that are worth selling.

So the thread has been started a false premise from the OP.

If you don't want insurance then you get to put up a bond of £150,000 with the Attorney-general it seems - that was as little as £15k at one point though which made it too attractive to uninsurable drink drivers I suspect.

It is the usual case to buy a bond with a policy. £150,000 seems way too low. I seem to remember the minimum being around £500,000 several years ago now.

The problem here is that is not limited liability. That s just the limit of the bond. So if you drove your car into a crowded supermarket where it blew up, you would personally be liable for any claim above the bond limit.

It is the usual case to buy a bond with a policy. £150,000 seems way too low. I seem to remember the minimum being around £500,000 several years ago now.

Yes, although the deposited bond replaces a policy. It's still £500 000 under s.144(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 as amended:

Section 143 of this Act does not apply to a vehicle owned by a person who has deposited and keeps deposited with the Accountant General of the Senior Courts the sum of £500,000, at a time when the vehicle is being driven under the owner’s control.

For the whole Act, see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/VI/crossheading/compulsory-insurance-or-security-against-thirdparty-risks

Well you've answered your own question. They don't crush them all. They sell on the ones that are worth selling.

So the thread has been started a false premise from the OP.

I haven't answered my own question, I didn't ask the question.

The problem here is that is not limited liability. That s just the limit of the bond. So if you drove your car into a crowded supermarket where it blew up, you would personally be liable for any claim above the bond limit.

It could well be, they keep increasing the amount as costs go up of course. Generally speaking though the only companies that will consider it cost effective are the ones that are going to be able to afford a multimillion pound claim anyway.

I haven't answered my own question, I didn't ask the question.

Just because you forgot the question mark it doesn't stop it being a question

That doesn't really explain why they aren't auctioned instead though does it.

They publicly talk about them being crushed and have stated that they only auction those of high value.

Edited by Anna Glypta

It could well be, they keep increasing the amount as costs go up of course. Generally speaking though the only companies that will consider it cost effective are the ones that are going to be able to afford a multimillion pound claim anyway.

The majority are insurance underwriters.

Just because you forgot the question mark it doesn't stop it being a question

I didn't forget anything.

"That doesn't really explain why they aren't auctioned instead though does it."

Putting a question mark on the end of that sentence wouldn't make it a question, it's clearly a statement.

And it's a statement in response to this post

"I would have thought they crushed them to stop people driving them & killing people in them"

It's a perfectly valid statement given that the majority are crushed.

I've no idea why you're trying to prove me wrong, I've not made a statement about how many cars are crushed or not that you can prove wrong.

they will sale it, if value more than 1000£