The Red Lion Book Group (thread #4)

The Red Lion book group meets about once a month at 7.30pm, actual dates agreed between whoever’s at the previous meeting!

On September 19th we’ll be meeting to discuss What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver. October’s book will be The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson.

We’re (currently) a fairly small group, but friendly, and new members are very welcome to join us at any time. Feel free to post here or pm for any further information

Our other recent reads:

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

The Accidental by Ali Smith

The Somnambulist by Essie Fox

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene

Jazz by Toni Morrison

Dubliners by James Joyce

The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing

Florence and Giles by John Harding

(Extract of) Samuel Pepys’ Diary

Hi! Was going to post the book for October, but I see you got there before me clock ender. Sorry for being so very slow. I have got to get over this aversion to posting on the forum... See you all next time. I will most likely be late but I'll see you there.

I am halfway through the Raymond Carver book. Mixed reactions thus far.

Hello All

It's the Off the Shelf Festival in October and there is a Whitakers Almanac Literature Quiz happening on Wed 17th October at the Showroom Cinema.

Anyone fancy this? The maximum for a team is 6 people. It's free to enter. It starts at 9pm so we could pick this as our bookclub night for October if it suits most people, meet at 7.30 in the Red Lion as usual to discuss the book and then go for the quiz later on. Let me know who fancies it. We don't need to book but I imagine we would need to get there in good time to bagsy a table and get the drinks in :banana:.

See you all next week !

I think that's a great idea. We could even discuss the book in the bar at the Showroom!

So, for one night only, our meeting will be at the Showroom, not the Red Lion. Our October 17th book is The Pyschopath test by Jon Ronson. Our November book will be "I, Partridge - We Need to Talk About Alan" by Steve Coogan.

I have the stomach bug that is going around, so won't be able to make it tonight.

Oh no! Hope you're better soon - a couple of people at work have it too!

Really very sorry, because I'm also having to miss tonight. Pity, as I enjoyed the book. I am sure that my absence will not badly dent the team's chances in the quiz (note neither Grandiose sense of self-worth (Item 2) nor Lack of remorse or guilt (Item 6)...

I am SO sorry but I can't make it either tonight...

I went to the showroom on the 17th but there was no one there when I arrived at 20.30, although people may have been there at 19.30. Anyway, since it looks like there was no meeting shall we discuss the Psychopath test on Wed 7/11 at 19.30 back at the Red Lion?

Please let me know if that's ok.

Hope you are all ok.

7th November suits me. Sorry you had a wasted journey GT.

Good that you can make it on the 7th. Turning up wasn't so much of an inconvenience, I should have checked the forum before going really. But then if it only happens once every five years I suppose I won't mind... I think I'm going to interpret the lack of attendance as people being too scared to undergo the Psychopath check list ;)