Personal details

It's truly amazing how often the Ayatollah Khomeni, Pope Benedict XVI, Jonathan Sachs and George Carey buy things in Maplins when I'm also in the store near the tills.

All of them appear to live at SW1A 1AA as well. (Buckingham Palace).

They've also bought a few TV's as well over the years. Not sure if TVL ever delivered a demand to Liz though.

There is no legal requirment to give details if buying tv equipment just like there is no legal requirement to have a tv licence. People think there is but really there is none.

Where do people get this from?

Have you considered the Communications Act 2003 by any chance? S363 I think it is from memory. Check legislation.gov.uk and have a look.

You can own a TV quite legally without a licence - it's illegal to install it for use of receiving TV broadcasts.

You can own a TV quite legally without a licence - it's illegal to install it for use of receiving TV broadcasts.

But how can you convince the BBC licence people of this? If you wire it up to your computer as a large screen for computer activities, disconnect all this and it is still viable for receiving TV programs. That will probably be their defence.

I work part time in a shop and there are certain products we need to ask name and address etc for.

To be honest I think you're all paranoid, nobody cares who you are, nobody cares where you live.

It's a bit arrogant to assume that anybody in that shop would have an interest in your name and address, and so what, so what if they did overhear it? What are they going to do with your name and address? Post you a letter?.

What could I do with that information? Nothing of consequence.

Staff don't ask your details because they want to know where you live, they ask because the systems dictate it, and if you have a problem with giving the information, the transaction won't be processed and you can go and buy it somewhere else.

Simple.

I work part time in a shop and there are certain products we need to ask name and address etc for.

To be honest I think you're all paranoid, nobody cares who you are, nobody cares where you live.

It's a bit arrogant to assume that anybody in that shop would have an interest in your name and address, and so what, so what if they did overhear it? What are they going to do with your name and address? Post you a letter?.

What could I do with that information? Nothing of consequence.

Staff don't ask your details because they want to know where you live, they ask because the systems dictate it, and if you have a problem with giving the information, the transaction won't be processed and you can go and buy it somewhere else.

Simple.

The original poster was talking about a refund. There is no requirement in the legislation that says you can demand an address if you are refunding money for faulty goods.

For sales yes, that acceptable if you really want to lose trade but be careful of asking for it after the sale has been concluded if you want the information as again you may not get it.

But how can you convince the BBC licence people of this? If you wire it up to your computer as a large screen for computer activities, disconnect all this and it is still viable for receiving TV programs. That will probably be their defence.

If it's not installed - that is it's not connected to an antenna and not tuned to the broadcast channels then you don't need a licence for it. IF TVL turn up on the doorstep shut the door in their face and go back to playing on the Xbox. You have no obligations to them whatsoever, and it;s probably best if your entire conversation with them is limited to "I do not require a licence, please leave". They have no right of entry to your dwelling no matter what they may think.

No I refuse to. Then they will say it makes the warranty invalid, just argue it and they back down, if not I walk out. There are plenty of other places to buy things from.

Glad it is not just me it really annoys! :suspect:

It's called data mining. If you buy goods on a debit/credit card your details are recorded and studied over a period of time. The store can forecast when you're likely to come again, how much you're likely to spend and what you're likely to buy.

The original poster was talking about a refund. There is no requirement in the legislation that says you can demand an address if you are refunding money for faulty goods.

For sales yes, that acceptable if you really want to lose trade but be careful of asking for it after the sale has been concluded if you want the information as again you may not get it.

But there was a wider issue on the topic which was people having an issue giving their details in a shop in general.

My point was: I don't care.

I don't care if you don't want to give me your details, if you want to buy it from me, you will give me your details, if you don't, you won't be buying it from me.

And people think we care. Honest, we don't. I don't care what your name is, I don't care what your address is, and I don't care if you buy it from me or not.

Don't give me the details, don't get the product.

Simple.

I work in pharmacy, it's a neccessity to ask people to confirm their name and address.... would hate to think joe bloggs of 35 sunshine street got joe bloggs of 35 rainy streets methadone :-/ if you dont want other people in the shop knowing your address then carry it around on a piece of paper in your pocket and just show that when your asked..... that's what some of our customers do anyway. Sometimes it just can't be helped

But there was a wider issue on the topic which was people having an issue giving their details in a shop in general.

My point was: I don't care.

I don't care if you don't want to give me your details, if you want to buy it from me, you will give me your details, if you don't, you won't be buying it from me.

And people think we care. Honest, we don't. I don't care what your name is, I don't care what your address is, and I don't care if you buy it from me or not.

Don't give me the details, don't get the product.

Simple.

Don't sell products, go out of business. People care then I'd imagine.

I was thinking more of the case where something is sold, as in paid for, but then they need your address "for the warranty"

Too late. You are not going to get it - and I will have the warranty regardless. This used to be a favourite trick it seems of PCworld.