Madman on the snake pass

I have just witnessed one of the most dangerous displays of driving I have ever seen. After watching a terrifying 5 mile chase along the A57 Snake Road, I can only assume the driver concerned was insane, or out to kill someone.

I first noticed the silver hatchback about halfway over. I was following behind when suddenly the car speeded up and began to weave across the double white lines. Tiring of this, he finally overtook the van ahead of him on a blind bend and in total disregard of the lines.

It got worse. Two motorcyclists appeared and attempted to overtake the silver car. The driver's response was to veer onto the wrong side of the road to block them, nearly knocking them over. This continued until just before Ladybower. I saw the bikers stop, and by their animated state I guess they were calling the police. The car sped on, overtaking another van after slewing across the double whites all the way through the bends. I tried to get the van driver to stop to see if he got the car's number, but without success. Meanwhile, the maniac roared on towards Sheffield. I live near the A57 and it could easily have been that my wife and children could have been travelling the other way - or someone else's family might have rounded the corner to face a certain head-on.

If you were one of the bikers or van drivers, please contact me so we can all go to the police before this person kills someone.

Edited by 430spider
Typo

I hope that you noted his licence-plate number and are advising the Police or at least Crimestoppers.

i do not understand ho you could witness this for 5 miles if he was driving at said speed

You did very well to keep up with this car for five miles.

Why didn't you stop and speak to the bikers?

I am also bemused on how you witnessed this, especially anything beyond the first overtake with there being a van in your way.

You state that you saw the silver vehicle swerve to the opposite carriageway to block the 2 bikers but somehow there was sufficient distance between you and the bikers to allow them to not only to find a safe spot and pull over but also retrieve what I assume was a mobile telephone and contact someone.

Also you followed this silver vehicle for 5 miles, witnessed all this and didn't think to memorise the licence plate yourself?

It sounds like there were two vans and the car was between thw pair of them.

I've just seen some moronic displays of driving as well....and I was in Morrisons car park! Doh! what idiots

i do not understand ho you could witness this for 5 miles if he was driving at said speed

What said speed? I never said his speed was the issue. Driving on the wrong side of the road and nearly killing two motorcyclists IS.

And yes, to answer the predictable chorus, I should have done this or that differently. But If this exercise in any small way helps get this guy gets removed from the road, then it will have been worth coming on here

Guest makapaka
I am also bemused on how you witnessed this, especially anything beyond the first overtake with there being a van in your way.

You state that you saw the silver vehicle swerve to the opposite carriageway to block the 2 bikers but somehow there was sufficient distance between you and the bikers to allow them to not only to find a safe spot and pull over but also retrieve what I assume was a mobile telephone and contact someone.

Also you followed this silver vehicle for 5 miles, witnessed all this and didn't think to memorise the licence plate yourself?

Why do you have to automatically assume that the op is either in the wrong/lying etc, if you haven't got any view on what the op has to say move along, posts like this just make people not want to post and are ruining the forum.

Why do you have to automatically assume that the op is either in the wrong/lying etc, if you haven't got any view on what the op has to say move along, posts like this just make people not want to post and are ruining the forum.

There are some smart bottoms on the forum, best just to ignore them.

Angel.

Because there are inconsistancies in the story? If it's my opinion that the OP maybe misleading other members then I have the right as a member to post that opinion.

Before making my conclusion I've asked the OP for clarification on these inconsistancies rather that overtly call him a liar.

But I will say this, you're wrong. It's people making up stories and posting them for attention & those that defend that action with cliches like 'move on if you don't like what you've read' that ruins community forums such as SF.

Because there are inconsistancies in the story? If it's my opinion that the OP maybe misleading other members then I have the right as a member to post that opinion.

Before making my conclusion I've asked the OP for clarification on these inconsistancies rather that overtly call him a liar.

But I will say this, you're wrong. It's people making up stories and posting them for attention & those that defend that action with cliches like 'move on if you don't like what you've read' that ruins community forums such as SF.

Well said and three people including myself asked the same questions as yourself.